Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MeanDean

#151 Post by MeanDean »

jongi wrote:Also, why does IBox only show apps that have been minimised?
That is one of my main gripes, it use to show all apps...they could at least have a option.

jongi

#152 Post by jongi »

garrincha wrote:
The apps that are minimised (or inconified) are placed in IBox, isn't that's supposed to be that function? You can remove it (IBox) if you want.
it's my lack of knowledge about e17. i thought it was a taskbar utility that shows all running apps. what should i install for that?
Desktop: Debian (Sid) 64-bit, Gentoo 64-bit and Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit
Laptop: Gentoo 32-bit
MythTV: Debian (Testing) 32-bit

Bro.Tiag

#153 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:
That is one of my main gripes, it use to show all apps...they could at least have a option.
You are thinking of the Ibar, and it only shows apps that are installed and have put in it.
jongi wrote:
garrincha wrote:
The apps that are minimised (or inconified) are placed in IBox, isn't that's supposed to be that function? You can remove it (IBox) if you want.
it's my lack of knowledge about e17. i thought it was a taskbar utility that shows all running apps. what should i install for that?
There is a taskbar module for e17, should come with a stock install. It just has to activated. There is also a 3rd party one on offer @ Exchange

Cheers

jongi

#154 Post by jongi »

How would I go about loading KNetworkManager on startup given it has the credentials?

jongi

#155 Post by jongi »

Bro.Tiag wrote: There is a taskbar module for e17, should come with a stock install. It just has to activated. There is also a 3rd party one on offer @ Exchange

Cheers
The taskbar module is pretty good. I just wish I could get it to just show the icon of the application

garrincha

#156 Post by garrincha »

jongi wrote:How would I go about loading KNetworkManager on startup given it has the credentials?
Isn't that an applet from KDE (network-manager-kde)?

You simply click on the e menu, go to:
Configuration > Configuartion panel > Applications > IBar Applications
From the 'All Applications' add KNetworkManage to 'Selected Applications' and click on 'Apply'.

Or for startup apps, you could put it in a startup script file like ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession) or make up your own as I did for a few startup apps like xbindkeys.

Note for others:

At the beginning when you first start up E17, it give you options to select one of several menus like Debian menu, kde menu, gnome menu etc, languages, the type of desktop (minimalist, standard, etc). So make a backup of your old ~/.e directory and start E17 with a clean set.

I only discovered this new feature when I add in E17 from SVN.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Bro.Tiag

#157 Post by Bro.Tiag »

garrincha wrote:
jongi wrote:I only discovered this new feature when I add in E17 from SVN.
Aye, me too, but I have a backup of my ~/.e folder. Then again, I've been bitten in the past.

jongi

#158 Post by jongi »

here's a strange one:

When I run e17 (this is on my laptop), the temperature applet shows a temp around 71 degrees celsius. I then end the e17 session, run KDE for 20 minutes and then log back into e17. the temperature is 10 degrees lower.

i do know that i run kpowersave on kde. i don't think i have it in e17. could this be the difference. i can feel a marked difference on my lap when i run kde vs e17.

garrincha

#159 Post by garrincha »

Fyi, there is an article in October issue of linux journal about E17, here's scan from that issue:

Mod edit: removed due to copyright issues.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#160 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:Fyi, there is an article in October issue of linux journal about E17, here's scan from that issue:
What license are Linux Journal articles under?
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

garrincha

#161 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:What license are Linux Journal articles under?
It doesn't seems to list it apart from being published by and registered as a trade name of Belltown Media, Inc. If you think that it isn't fair use, let me know so I can edit the post.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#162 Post by Lavene »

garrincha wrote:
mzilikazi wrote:What license are Linux Journal articles under?
It doesn't seems to list it apart from being published by and registered as a trade name of Belltown Media, Inc. If you think that it isn't fair use, let me know so I can edit the post.
Publishing the entire article is a bit over the top and certainly not 'fair use'. However, they do publish their articles online after a while and then we can link to it.

garrincha

#163 Post by garrincha »

Lavene wrote: Publishing the entire article is a bit over the top and certainly not 'fair use'. However, they do publish their articles online after a while and then we can link to it.
Ah yes, I just realised it. I was just going to edit the post but thanks anyway.

teliparas

#164 Post by teliparas »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
ghostdawg wrote:
mzilikazi wrote:New repo for E17:
Get the key:

Code: Select all

gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 03CA4243; gpg --armor --export 03CA4243 | apt-key add -
The repo:

deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main
deb-src http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main
Install E17

apt-get install enlightenment
I just recently did a netinst of sid and used this repo to install e17 today, and I must say what a delight using it.

Only problem is my fonts are small for the complete install. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thnx.
Fonts are set on 3 levels: Themes Level (etk fonts), gtk apps and in the wild.

The e17 menus, themes, modules & icons fonts require a change on theme and a re-compilation. Although some tweaking can be done on these. Have a look here, Main Menu>Configuration>Configuration Panel select Appearance>Fonts select Advanced, in the left panel scroll down to you find the Module section. Be sure to "enable fonts classes" is checked, then play round in there & see if anything is better.

So for generic gtk have a look in your ~/.gtkrc file and change the line gtk-font-name for your preferences (size and/or font type)

The ones in the wild, are ones that do not obey standardization (firefox or Ooffice) or from other DE toolkits (QT,tkl, ...)

For other, like firefox, you must go to 'Options' of each app (usualy under Preferences).

Cheers
hi
i m from greece ( the encooding for greece is iso-8958-7 )
as you can understand my locales enconding isn't too popular

is it posible to give some instraction (prefered a how to ) how to recompile my favorite theme with ttf (eg like dejavu)

teliparas

#165 Post by teliparas »

moreover
i think it could be a good idea an advanced member to instuct as how to convert our favorites wallpapers to wallpaper.edj files and share it :D

Bro.Tiag

#166 Post by Bro.Tiag »

teliparas wrote:hi
i m from greece ( the encooding for greece is iso-8958-7 )
as you can understand my locales enconding isn't too popular

is it posible to give some instraction (prefered a how to ) how to recompile my favorite theme with ttf (eg like dejavu)
To re-build a theme you first have to unpack it. Change to the directory where the theme is and unpack it with;

edje_decc <name_of_the_theme_to_unpack>.edj
This should unpack the theme in a directory of the theme name. Make a backup copy of the theme you are working on and then cd into the new theme directory. Copy the fonts you want to use into this new working theme directory. Now, this is where & why a more in depth How To of course is needed, yet most themes are not standardized, ergo their realy is non. Anyhow, you should see a bunch of *.edc files. Find the one that is only <the_name_of_the_theme>.edc and open it with a text editor. Search for something like this;

fonts {
   font: "./fonts/Vera.ttf"   "Edje-Vera";
   font: "./fonts/VeraBd.ttf" "Edje-Vera-Bold";
}
Edit with the font you want to use, save & close. Next it's tome to re-build, from within the working directory issue the following command;

./build.sh
This will build a new <name_of_the_theme>.edj, copy it to your theme directory and try it out.
teliparas wrote:moreover
i think it could be a good idea an advanced member to instuct as how to convert our favorites wallpapers to wallpaper.edj files and share it :D
One can use the e17seroot command to do this, but it's just as easy to open the Wallpaper dialog box, select the picture button, then search for the picture you want to use, select it, hit OK & then Apply.

Cheers

teliparas

#167 Post by teliparas »

thanks
it just works perfect
alreday i have done my own wallpapers
now i m trying to make my own theme
if i manage to make something good i will post back :D :D

Bro.Tiag

#168 Post by Bro.Tiag »

teliparas wrote:thanks
it just works perfect
alreday i have done my own wallpapers
now i m trying to make my own theme
if i manage to make something good i will post back :D :D
Here is a bit more in depth description for making themes in e17, HowTo easily make or change an e17 theme. There is a lot of additional info on making themes over to OzOs, but it's spread all over the place. Better off asking a specific question in their forums to get an answer. It's not an easy task per se ( especially when one is not very artistic as my self ). Here is a link to some themes I've made in the past, my themes. I look foward to seeing your theme, do at least post a screen shot.

Cheers