Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hcgtv

Enlightenment DR17

#1 Post by hcgtv »

I posted my current desktop, which started a conversation on Enlightenment DR17. I thought it would be best to start a new thread here and field questions.

Enlightenment used to be the default window manager for Gnome when the original developers, Rasterman and Mandrake, worked for Redhat. It's geared towards GTK apps but it will run KDE apps with no problem at all.

Enlightenment is more than a window manager but has less bloat than a desktop. After starting either Gnome or KDE, from a terminal window type in ps ax and you'll see many processes have been started. E on the other hand just needs one executable, so you'll see startx, X and then E, very little memory usage.

DR17 is still very experimental, it took me a few weeks to get my environment setup to compile it from CVS, which I do now on a daily basis. There are deb repositories but they've been a hit and miss proposition in the past, as in they are maintained and then abandoned or moved without notice.

The official E17 Debian repository currently has packages for Sid, still awaiting Etch packages to make it into there.

Ideally, installing from debs is the way to go but if someone wants to compile from source on Etch, I can dig up my notes and post them here.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

sargek

#2 Post by sargek »

E17 is indeed hot. I played with it a bit while I was running Gentoo, but haven't seen it in a few months. I am always facinated by other DEs/Wms, but inevitably come back to Gnome. I may check out E17 again though - it's beautiful and fast.

Burnside

#3 Post by Burnside »

I've been considering setting this up on my etch machine but I've been a little concerned about mixing testing and unstable (not that I've ever had a problem with mixing repos in the past, but...). Is there anything I should watch out for as part of the install process?

hcgtv

#4 Post by hcgtv »

This is a repository that might work for Debian Etch:

http://seerofsouls.com/ubuntu.html

Burnside

#5 Post by Burnside »

Actually I went ahead and used edevelop, it worked fine.

Well, GDM doesn't list E17 as a startup option but that's easy to fix.

thamarok

#6 Post by thamarok »

Enlightenment is cool!
I just installed the DR17 (compiled from source).. I was so excited to run it and WOW! It is very cool and fast too (faster than KDE to be precise)..

The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?

Thanks!

hcgtv

#7 Post by hcgtv »

thamarok wrote:The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenme ... 09724.html

thamarok

#8 Post by thamarok »

Thanks hcgtv! Be prepared to see another (crazy) Enlightenment user :D
But unfortunately, without using Beryl :(

I don't want to install XGL... If Beryl would work with AIGLX with e17, I would be happy :?

hcgtv

#9 Post by hcgtv »

thamarok,

If I may ask, what version of Debian are you running?

Also, did you need to install any additional libraries to get DR17 compiled?

I'm just curious cause it took me what seemed forever to get a proper compile on Sid, which is what I was running back in June of this year. I've since downgraded to Etch and the compiles are still going fine.

I use Raster's get_e.sh script to grab CVS and compile what I need:
http://www.rasterman.com/files/

sargek

#10 Post by sargek »

thamarok wrote:Enlightenment is cool!
I just installed the DR17 (compiled from source).. I was so excited to run it and WOW! It is very cool and fast too (faster than KDE to be precise)..

The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?

Thanks!
I had to chuckle - my dead grandmother is faster than KDE... :lol:

Yeah, E17 is very fast - what gets me is it looks so beautiful, has quite a bit of functionality and is still fast. Great combination!

rplantz

Re: Enlightenment DR17

#11 Post by rplantz »

hcgtv wrote: Ideally, installing from debs is the way to go but if someone wants to compile from source on Etch, I can dig up my notes and post them here.
If it's not too much trouble for you, I would appreciate that.

hcgtv

#12 Post by hcgtv »

Looking back at my notes, this is what I wrote down that I needed to compile DR17:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -s build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev
Keep in mind that this was back in June of this year on Sid, it may be a bit different on Etch now since there may be newer packages. There have been fixes in the DR17 code for it to build easier on Debian, so things should go smoother now.

thamarok

#13 Post by thamarok »

Hi again hcgtv! I am using Ubuntu (Edgy and Feisty) and I found a guide somewhere on how to compile E17 in Ubuntu Edgy Eft.

If I can find the guide again, I'll post the link to it..

hcgtv

#14 Post by hcgtv »

Enlightenment, coming to a PS3 near you:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/e17/

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Transparent terms & such for E17

#15 Post by mzilikazi »

You can use fake transparency in your terminals w/ esetroot but that's a bit of a hassle. Instead I like to use the Photo module to set the wallpaper which simutaneously sets the background for fake transparency.

apt-get install emodule0-photo
So, add the photo module to a shelf, configure it and set a wallpaper. Now fire up a terminal and set transparency to Yes. It should work. This also works for conky. Heres a screen.

hcgtv

#16 Post by hcgtv »

mzilikazi, nice desktop.

I assume you're running Sid or some other distro where you can get debs, cause I'm in Etch and I have to compile my own stuff. Which makes it a bit hard trying to figure out what works and what doesn't since CVS is such in flux.

#17 Post by Guest »

Sure I run Sid. I was using the easy_e17.sh to build cvs for some time but I have found that the edevelop repo is never far behind cvs and it saves me the headache of figuring out what will compile today and what will not.

garrincha

#18 Post by garrincha »

Does anyone use the eterm terminal in enlightenment? I installed E16 along with eterm, however I'm getting strange rectangular boxes and accented 'a' bordering the blue screen in app like the filemanager mc (midnight commander). When I run mc in other terminal like xterm, it is fine - no messed up border as in mc running in eterm's.

I'm trying to get the screenshot in epplets to work as well with no luck.

Edit: Is it possibiliy a font problem with eterm?
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

hcgtv

#19 Post by hcgtv »

garrincha,

Eterm appears not to be getting much updates lately, I've yet to get a successful compile of it from CVS on my Etch system.

If Eterm was going to follow along with DR17, then it would of kept up and be the default instead of Xterm.

I really liked Eterm, I've used it in the past with E16 but alas, I guess it's time to move on and maybe just use Gnome terminal instead.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#20 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:Does anyone use the eterm terminal in enlightenment? I installed E16 along with eterm, however I'm getting strange rectangular boxes and accented 'a' bordering the blue screen in app like the filemanager mc (midnight commander). When I run mc in other terminal like xterm, it is fine - no messed up border as in mc running in eterm's.

I'm trying to get the screenshot in epplets to work as well with no luck.

Edit: Is it possibiliy a font problem with eterm?
I'm not exactly sure why this happens but I've seen it too w/ mc but not only in Eterm.
Three terminals, XFCE4-terminal, xterm & Eterm in this screen.

I *think* it's UTF-8 related. Do you use UTF-8?
For now I just launch mc like so

LANG=c mc