Enlightenment DR17

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Postby Mr.Octopus » 2007-09-06 17:33

Just to add to my post above...
Code: Select all
# aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.6
# automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
Mr.Octopus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2007-09-06 15:55

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-09-06 19:35

MrOctopus wrote:I have tried it with 1.7 and 1.9 - installing (and removing) both through apt-get

Also since those failures I have added "deb http://edevelop.org/debian/ unstable main" to my sources.list and tried to install the e17-desktop package, this is dependent on libc6 (>=2.6-1) which is unavailable to me (running etch). So on trying to upgrade that (downloaded the libc6_2.6.1-2_i386.deb file locally and tried to install with "dpkg --install libc6_2.6.1-2_i386.deb", which throws the error
Code: Select all
dpkg: regarding ./libc6_2.6.1-2_i386.deb containing libc6:
 libc6 conflicts with tzdata (<< 2007e-2)
  tzdata (version 2007b-1) is installed.
dpkg: error processing ./libc6_2.6.1-2_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing libc6
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ./libc6_2.6.1-2_i386.deb


Thanks for the help, whichever solution is easier!


You are sure you do not have another version of automake installed as well. What 'bout the version of aclocal?

This page is hard to find, therefore it might be out dated, but have a read of it as well. EFL User Guide.

In my experience mixing a deb package with source from CVS does not work. Something to do with having the correct edje libs installed.

There is one other posability, and that is there is something amiss with the cvs, which means trying to d/l again a day or two later.
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby Mr.Octopus » 2007-09-06 19:49

I am not 100% sure there is no other version installed however doing "which automake" and then "/usr/bin/automake --version" and the same for aclocal show that they are both version 1.9.6.

Yeah I've had a look through that guide and several other guides but none I have found so far seem to work on my system.

The reason I played with the deb package was to see if I was able to install it any other way than compiling from CVS.

Yeah, I suppose it could be the CVS, or probably more likely I'm making some stupid mistake somewhere along the line...
Mr.Octopus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2007-09-06 15:55

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-09-06 19:59

Mr.Octopus wrote:Yeah, I suppose it could be the CVS, or probably more likely I'm making some stupid mistake somewhere along the line...


Where are you in the build process? And what build order are you following?

Another option is to try the eLive Repos & apt-get from there, after you have removed everything from the CVS.
Code: Select all
 ### Elive repositories, select one. Important to are the first of your lines
 deb http://idefix.eup.uva.es/elive elive main efl elive
 #deb http://www.vobcopy.org/mirror/elive/ elive main efl elive
Mind you it is an older build of e17, late 2005 era.

Cheers
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby Mr.Octopus » 2007-09-06 21:28

Well thanks for the help, I got past that stage - was stuck at installing the imlib2 library. I ended up reinstalling etch so that it was the base system and went from there again.

I'll have a look at that repo while I play with trying to fix the next problem, that I don't have 'autopoint' installed on the system.

Thanks for the help Bro.Tiag
Mr.Octopus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2007-09-06 15:55

Postby kc1di » 2007-10-31 20:49

hcgtv wrote:This is a repository that might work for Debian Etch:

http://seerofsouls.com/ubuntu.html


tried it with a Lenny install would not work missing dependencies.
have not tried to track them down yet but might be possible.
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Stretch
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608
User avatar
kc1di
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 2007-03-12 12:52
Location: Somewhere In Maine

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-10-31 21:39

kc1di wrote:
hcgtv wrote:This is a repository that might work for Debian Etch:

http://seerofsouls.com/ubuntu.html


tried it with a Lenny install would not work missing dependencies.
have not tried to track them down yet but might be possible.

Adding an Ubuntu source to your Debian system is asking for trouble. Sorry but I don't know what repo you'd use (other than the Sid repo) for Lenny.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
User avatar
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2004-09-16 02:14
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Postby neonl » 2007-10-31 22:38

Well, you can just try this to install from the original CVS' sources. It works, I tested it (at least in Etch).

What as I'm going to post was taken from a HOWTO in the ubuntuforums, but it works as well in debian.

So:
    What's the advantage from compile from cvs source?

    - You can be as updated as you wish,
    - You can be as outdated as you wish (using the date option of cvs you can go back to any specific date you want... search for specific features or avoid a broken version)
    - You will have everything installed on /opt/ directory. That's the correct location for testing/beta software. It will not mix libs and apps from enlightenment with your system. It's easier to clean and make backups or even run different versions side by side.
    - You can set your own compile options.
-----------------------------------------------
    1. Getting the compiling tools. I don't know exactly if these are needed in Debian, in Ubuntu you need them to compile but I installed them and it worked:
    Code: Select all
    aptitude install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev libxslt-dev libpam0g-dev libdbus-1-dev

    2. Getting the install script. Now you must get the script that will download/compile/install e17. Thanks to Morlenxus for this great tool.
    Code: Select all
    cd ~
    wget http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/easy_e17/easy_e17.sh
    and make it executable running:
    Code: Select all
    chmod +x easy_e17.sh

    3. Setting stuff to install. Now we'll create a text file which will tell the script we downloaded before which packages to install. Edit the new file (under the /home folder) with nano, gedit or other (in the following commands I'll use nano:
    Code: Select all
    nano -w .easy_e17.conf


    Use this one:
    Code: Select all
    --skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,entrance,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,elicit,evolve,e_dbus,elitaire,emphasis,
    empower,engycad,entrance_edit_gui,entropy,scrot,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,expedite,extrackt,engage,
    enthrall,rage,scrot,alarm,bling,cpu,deskshow,emu,flame,
    forecasts,language,mail,mem,mixer,moon,net,news,photo,rain,
    screenshot,slideshow,screenshot,snow,taskbar,tclock,uptime,weather,winselector,wlan,mixer
    if you want a minimal enlightenment with no extra modules or e-apps;
    Or use this one:
    Code: Select all
    --skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,entrance,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,
    elicit,evolve,elitaire,emphasis,empower,engycad,scrot,entrance_edit_gui,entropy,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,
    expedite,extrackt,engage,enthrall,rage,emu,flame,moon,rain,screenshot,snow,language,mixer

    if you want a complete E17 (recomended).
    NOTE: the code above (from the configuration text file) must be written on the file in only one line. I divided it in a few paragraphs due to the forum layout.
    4. Installation. The title speaks by itself:
    Code: Select all
    ./easy_e17.sh -i

    It should skip some modules, on the process which are probably obsolete or having critical bugs. If process finishes successfully E17 is installed, we're almost done.
    5. Environment. Due to the fact that enlightenment is installed under /opt/e17 we will need to add /opt/e17/bin to our $PATH variable.
    To do this open /etc/environment with your favorite text editor:
    Code: Select all
    nano -w /etc/environment

    and add ':/opt/e17/bin' to the end of the PATH line. You should get something like:
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/opt/e17/bin

    6. Set enlightenment on your login. If you have GDM installed run this to be able to log into E17 from it:
    Code: Select all
    ln -s /opt/e17/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop


    Now, with this I think we're done :). Hope you like enlightenment and that this guide has been useful to it. General credits go to Rui Pais from his original post of this @ ubuntuforums.org


Cheers ;).
YOU! ARE! A! TOYYYYY! You're not the real Buzz Lightyear! You're - you are an action figure! - Toy Story
User avatar
neonl
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-08-30 11:11

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-02-10 20:05

Thanks for the update on building e17 from source. For the moment edevelop.org is down and AFAIK there is not another Debian repo for E17. This link back to get-e.org mentions a "transition" took place recently but the servers are not up at this time.

To build from source on Debian Sid I did the following:
Code: Select all
apt-get install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev libxslt-dev libpam0g-dev libdbus-1-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

I wanted to use entrance (E17 login manager) and the E17 mixer so .easy_e17.conf says:

Code: Select all
--skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,
elicit,evolve,elitaire,emphasis,empower,engycad,scrot,entropy,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,
expedite,extrackt,engage,enthrall,rage,emu,flame,moon,rain,screenshot,snow,language

Perfect! Thanks for posting this neonl.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
User avatar
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2004-09-16 02:14
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2008-02-10 22:27

mzilikazi wrote:Thanks for the update on building e17 from source. For the moment edevelop.org is down and AFAIK there is not another Debian repo for E17. This link back to get-e.org mentions a "transition" took place recently but the servers are not up at this time.

To build from source on Debian Sid I did the following:
Code: Select all
apt-get install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev libxslt-dev libpam0g-dev libdbus-1-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

I wanted to use entrance (E17 login manager) and the E17 mixer so .easy_e17.conf says:

Code: Select all
--skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,
elicit,evolve,elitaire,emphasis,empower,engycad,scrot,entropy,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,
expedite,extrackt,engage,enthrall,rage,emu,flame,moon,rain,screenshot,snow,language

Perfect! Thanks for posting this neonl.


I have a wee HowTo page for e17 on debian, debe17. There is a section regarding installing from deb's as well (but as you say the edevelop.org is down) I do have a set of deb's that I made to install e17 on etch. I'm more then happy to offer them to anyone who wants to try them. PM me or follow the link to my site.

Cheers
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-03-24 02:37

New repo for E17:
Get the key:
Code: Select all
gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 03CA4243; gpg --armor --export 03CA4243 | apt-key add -

The repo:
Code: Select all
deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main
deb-src http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main

Install E17
Code: Select all
apt-get install enlightenment
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
User avatar
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2004-09-16 02:14
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Postby ghostdawg » 2008-04-03 17:57

mzilikazi wrote:New repo for E17:
Get the key:
Code: Select all
gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 03CA4243; gpg --armor --export 03CA4243 | apt-key add -

The repo:
Code: Select all
deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main
deb-src http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main

Install E17
Code: Select all
apt-get install enlightenment

I just recently did a netinst of sid and used this repo to install e17 today, and I must say what a delight using it.

Only problem is my fonts are small for the complete install. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thnx.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb
User avatar
ghostdawg
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: 2006-08-29 03:39
Location: STLMO

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2008-04-03 19:01

ghostdawg wrote:
mzilikazi wrote:New repo for E17:
Get the key:
Code: Select all
gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 03CA4243; gpg --armor --export 03CA4243 | apt-key add -

The repo:
Code: Select all
deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main
deb-src http://debian.alphagemini.org/ sid main

Install E17
Code: Select all
apt-get install enlightenment

I just recently did a netinst of sid and used this repo to install e17 today, and I must say what a delight using it.

Only problem is my fonts are small for the complete install. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thnx.


Fonts are set on 3 levels: Themes Level (etk fonts), gtk apps and in the wild.

The e17 menus, themes, modules & icons fonts require a change on theme and a re-compilation. Although some tweaking can be done on these. Have a look here, Main Menu>Configuration>Configuration Panel select Appearance>Fonts select Advanced, in the left panel scroll down to you find the Module section. Be sure to "enable fonts classes" is checked, then play round in there & see if anything is better.

So for generic gtk have a look in your ~/.gtkrc file and change the line gtk-font-name for your preferences (size and/or font type)

The ones in the wild, are ones that do not obey standardization (firefox or Ooffice) or from other DE toolkits (QT,tkl, ...)

For other, like firefox, you must go to 'Options' of each app (usualy under Preferences).

Cheers
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby ghostdawg » 2008-04-07 07:03

Thanks Bro.Tiag, I tried your suggestions and it helped some but it just doesn't look the same as Gnome by default.

Wonder why fonts looks okay using Gnome compared to most WM?

I'll keep messing around with it.

Thnx.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb
User avatar
ghostdawg
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: 2006-08-29 03:39
Location: STLMO

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2008-04-07 12:49

ghostdawg wrote:Thanks Bro.Tiag, I tried your suggestions and it helped some but it just doesn't look the same as Gnome by default.

Wonder why fonts looks okay using Gnome compared to most WM?

I'll keep messing around with it.

Thnx.


Try some other e17 themes. Something might jump out at ya, then you can see what fonts it uses.

Cheers
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

fashionable