Enlightenment DR17

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-10 16:58

mzilikazi, nice desktop.

I assume you're running Sid or some other distro where you can get debs, cause I'm in Etch and I have to compile my own stuff. Which makes it a bit hard trying to figure out what works and what doesn't since CVS is such in flux.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby Guest » 2006-12-11 13:43

Sure I run Sid. I was using the easy_e17.sh to build cvs for some time but I have found that the edevelop repo is never far behind cvs and it saves me the headache of figuring out what will compile today and what will not.

Postby garrincha » 2006-12-12 18:27

Does anyone use the eterm terminal in enlightenment? I installed E16 along with eterm, however I'm getting strange rectangular boxes and accented 'a' bordering the blue screen in app like the filemanager mc (midnight commander). When I run mc in other terminal like xterm, it is fine - no messed up border as in mc running in eterm's.

I'm trying to get the screenshot in epplets to work as well with no luck.

Edit: Is it possibiliy a font problem with eterm?
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-12 19:18

garrincha,

Eterm appears not to be getting much updates lately, I've yet to get a successful compile of it from CVS on my Etch system.

If Eterm was going to follow along with DR17, then it would of kept up and be the default instead of Xterm.

I really liked Eterm, I've used it in the past with E16 but alas, I guess it's time to move on and maybe just use Gnome terminal instead.
hcgtv

Postby mzilikazi » 2006-12-12 20:01

garrincha wrote:Does anyone use the eterm terminal in enlightenment? I installed E16 along with eterm, however I'm getting strange rectangular boxes and accented 'a' bordering the blue screen in app like the filemanager mc (midnight commander). When I run mc in other terminal like xterm, it is fine - no messed up border as in mc running in eterm's.

I'm trying to get the screenshot in epplets to work as well with no luck.

Edit: Is it possibiliy a font problem with eterm?

I'm not exactly sure why this happens but I've seen it too w/ mc but not only in Eterm.
Three terminals, XFCE4-terminal, xterm & Eterm in this screen.

I *think* it's UTF-8 related. Do you use UTF-8?
For now I just launch mc like so
Code: Select all
LANG=c mc
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby garrincha » 2006-12-12 21:35

mzilikazi, I just noticed that it also affected xterm when running mc. It was bad in eterm and other terminals. Very much the same things in your screenshot. I used your LANG=c command to launch mc and these cleared it up.

I'm not sure which character encoding that I'm using though, how do I check for it?

hcgtv, it would appears that the problem is not only with eterm but also other terminal when I was running mc.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby Grifter » 2006-12-12 22:35

eterm and e16 are five thousand years old, while some people still use e16, you should _really_ use a better terminal, if you want transparent backgrounds and stuff like that which eterm had, use rxvt-unicode-lite
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Postby garrincha » 2006-12-12 22:45

Grifter wrote:eterm and e16 are five thousand years old, while some people still use e16, you should _really_ use a better terminal, if you want transparent backgrounds and stuff like that which eterm had, use rxvt-unicode-lite

Oh great, I'm ancient.:lol:

Yeah, I knew that Eterm and E16 are getting long in tooth, however I'm using them so I could mess around a bit. There isn't a repository for E17 in Etch or a deb yet though, unless you know of one? I'll use your suggestion of rxvt-unicode-lite though. Thanks!
garrincha

Postby Grifter » 2006-12-12 22:47

e17 was being developped back when I made the switch in 2001, I was using enlightenment too at the time so I was really looking forward to the new one... only it never came... and never came... and never came... and since it's not complete yet it still hasn't come (:

Who knows though, eventually the international space station will be complete and maybe e17 will finally be ready for its inauguration (:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-12 23:14

Grifter wrote:Who knows though, eventually the international space station will be complete and maybe e17 will finally be ready for its inauguration (:

I would tend to think when the moon base is ready :)

Yeah, it's been a while coming but it's slowly getting there. It's actively worked on but there seems to be a lack knowing of what works in CVS and what doesn't. I have to look at the Sid repository and determine from there what I can safely compile. Also, many users get to use the CVS repository for their side projects, then they abandon them and we're not told about it. So at present, what the project lacks is communication for us testers and early adopters.

I'm hoping to see an Etch repository soon, fingers crossed.
hcgtv

Postby mzilikazi » 2006-12-13 14:09

garrincha wrote:I'm not sure which character encoding that I'm using though, how do I check for it?

locale -a

I noticed something interesting although I've not really had the time to investigate further. Seems the mc & UTF8 is a know issue.
$ tail -n 6 /etc/profile
#Added to try and fix mc and UTF8 ugliness
[ -n "$LANG" ] || LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

export PATH

umask 022

Well apparently this does not work. :) For now it's just easiest to use an alias in ~/.bashrc like so:
alias mc="LANG=c mc"

Maybe not the best fix but it works.
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby garrincha » 2006-12-13 20:46

[quote="mzilikazi"]
locale -a

Thanks, I'm definitely using UTF-8, the same as you. So it seems to be a particular problem with mc and terminal. Anyway, I'm using this code you suggested for now.
garrincha

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-22 19:41

Found a better script to compile E17 on Etch:

http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/#easy_e17.sh
hcgtv

Postby S1NGH » 2006-12-26 15:36

hmm... just got debian installed and wanted to go ahead with the script to install e17 but nothing happens, could you please take a care to look at this?

s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd Desktop
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd e17
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop/e17$ chmod 755 easy_e17.sh

what do you think could be the problem?
S1NGH

Postby mzilikazi » 2006-12-26 15:50

S1NGH wrote:hmm... just got debian installed and wanted to go ahead with the script to install e17 but nothing happens, could you please take a care to look at this?

s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd Desktop
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop$ cd e17
s1ngh@iNSANiTY-Debian:~/Desktop/e17$ chmod 755 easy_e17.sh

what do you think could be the problem?

You did not execute the script! :)
./easy_e17.sh

Better read the script first and see what it is about to do and where it intends to store everything pulled down from cvs.
I must warn you however that building e17 from scratch is not always an easy process. You will have to find and install ALOT of dependencies before it will build (all available through apt-get). Once you've gotten through the build process successfully your subsequent builds will be much easier.

My suggestion is to simply use the Debian repository for E17. It is always very close to cvs.
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia