Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Playing movies

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hugtux

Playing movies

#1 Post by hugtux »

I want to play movies on my linux-box. But I don't know which program to use.
Which movie player do you use and why?

MarkvD

#2 Post by MarkvD »

Xine is the one for me.
Simply because I installed it once and it did everting I wanted it to do.
So I never tried another one, to be honest.

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

My choice is mplayer. It is fast, and can play every type of movies, including divx and realvideo. It can also play VCDs and DVDs.
You will probably have to make it from source, though.
You can grab it from here.

hesoez

#4 Post by hesoez »

i've always used mplayer, but lately i've tried totem(gnome-frontend for xine) and now i use them both, allthough i find the quality a little better in mplayer i really like the look and easy of use from totem. i think mplayer can handle about every video-format, not sure about xine.
for dvd's i use ogle and sometimes totem(both support menu's, mplayer doesn't).
i should say try them out and see what you like best.

ps: take a look at apt-get.org for mplayer, you can add an entry to your sources.list and install a precompiled mplayer with apt-get.

hugtux

#5 Post by hugtux »

Thanks people,
I will take a look at mplayer first then, when it isn't what i look for I will check the others.

lacek

#6 Post by lacek »

Note that, you will have to specify --enable-gui to the configure command in order to get a gui (unless you find a packaged version). Many people miss that, and they end up with an mplayer without a gui (but anyway, there is no need for GUI, but it is just my opinion).