Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Teaching my Computer to Speak Russian

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Harold

Teaching my Computer to Speak Russian

#1 Post by Harold »

Krazy Amerikanets wants to toggle between the English and Russian locales on his computer so that he can write in both alphabets. First thing that I did was to run "dpkg-reconfigure locales." I was given three choices of Russian locales:

1. ru_RU ISO-8859-5
2. ru_RU.KOI8 KOI8
3. ru_RU.UTF-8 UTF-8

I believe that KOI8 is the encoding used by Russian Unix users. (And I am aware that Microsoft and Apple have both invented their own, incompatible, encodings.) Should I install the 8859-5 and/or UTF-8 encodings? Please explain why or why not.

The second thing that I did was install the Debian packages xfonts-cyrillic and xfs. (xfs was recommended by xfonts-cyrillic.) Is xfonts-cyrillic used by the russian-speaking people on this forum, or is a different font package recommended?

And slightly off-topic... After dpkg-reconfigure built the KOI8 locale, I rebooted my computer to insure that the new locale became active. Was that necessary? Was the new locale active when dpkg-reconfigure finished? If not, could I have simply "sourced" a configuration file somewhere? /etc/locale.gen perhaps?

sensovision

#2 Post by sensovision »

Hi Harold! I'm from Ukraine but here we still use Russian a lot so I had it on my PC, although I prefer to keep all menus and messages in English and use Rus or Ukr only to chat, mails and documents.
You're right about KOI8-R it's popular amongst *nix users here, but from what I know Debian trying to standartize everything to UTF8. From Russian Debian mailist I've got feeling that UTF8 isn't very popular because some programs still had a problem with it, but if you only need Rus for correspondence I don't see problem in using it.
BTW since most of users I'm corresponding with are working under MS I'm using CP1251 mostly in locales it's called ru_RU (if my memory doesn't fail me).
Anyway I would recommend to generate all Russian locales and as default leave blank locale.
As for xfonts-cyrillic I don't have them so as many oter people here, the reason for this is that they look ugly... I use standart true type fonts xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi and msttcorfonts (mostly to render sites I'm visiting correctly).
Hope this info would be some of use to you.
Denis