Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Evolus Pencil

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fargris

Evolus Pencil

#1 Post by fargris »

I have recently upgraded to the lastest Debian and can't find Evolus Pencil (see http://pencil.evolus.vn/) any more. I'm pretty sure it used to be there (in Synaptic). I tried to download it from the website, but it doesn't run (or install, even - the .deb complains that Firefox is missing). Has anybody here managed to get it to work?

mor

Re: Evolus Pencil

#2 Post by mor »

I don't know if this package ever appeared in the debian repositories (indeed check this).

From what I can see looking at the deb from the site, it requires firefox as a dependency; I thought that any occurrence of firefox as a dependency would be treated as an alias for iceweasel within debian, but I guess I was wrong.
Hopefully someone will shed some light on this.

As a workaround you can try removing the dependency from the deb and see if it works, although if I were you I would wait for some other more knowledgeable advice. ;)

fargris

#3 Post by fargris »

THanks for your reply.

I've tried a number of things, but they fail. I even downloaded the source code, but it is just a bundle of Javascript files running under xulrunner with no build instructions. And it seems to expect xulrunner 1.9; when I tried to use xulrunner from iceweasel (ver 17?) it hangs. Unfortunately I have no experience with either xulrunner of javascript.

And the really bad news is that there is nothing else out there for Linux.

confuseling

#4 Post by confuseling »

New versions of xulrunner are available here

http://mozilla.debian.net/
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

mor

#5 Post by mor »

fargris wrote:I've tried a number of things, but they fail. I even downloaded the source code ...
Have you tried removing the dependency from the manually downloaded deb like I suggested?

Basically what you have to do is extract the files from the deb

Code: Select all

dpkg-deb -R file.deb temp-dir
Then you edit the control file within /DEBIAN/ and remove the firefox occurrence from the dependency list.

After that you repackage the deb

dpkg-deb -b temp-dir file-mod.deb
Once you've done that the installation should go smoothly and you can see if it works and in case it doesn't, what errors it gives you.

cecitorres

#6 Post by cecitorres »

mor wrote:
fargris wrote:I've tried a number of things, but they fail. I even downloaded the source code ...
Have you tried removing the dependency from the manually downloaded deb like I suggested?

Basically what you have to do is extract the files from the deb

dpkg-deb -R file.deb temp-dir
Then you edit the control file within /DEBIAN/ and remove the firefox occurrence from the dependency list.

After that you repackage the deb

dpkg-deb -b temp-dir file-mod.deb
Once you've done that the installation should go smoothly and you can see if it works and in case it doesn't, what errors it gives you.

Thanks so much! It's worked for me :D

jordilopezamat

#7 Post by jordilopezamat »

Removing dependency as described abobe worked like charm...for me (Debian 7)

Enjoying Pencil

TimeBandit

#8 Post by TimeBandit »

Instructions to modify the package so it depends on Firefox OR Iceweasel can be found here : https://code.google.com/p/evoluspencil/ ... ail?id=556
Works like charm on Debian 7