Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X and Gnome resolution

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
drogatoo

X and Gnome resolution

#1 Post by drogatoo »

Hy!I'm completly new to linux and debian.I've just installed debian 3.1 (sarge) on my computer(celeron 2,4Gb,256 ram,video GeForce mx440) and i have some problems with my resolution.I can only select 640x480@60hz.
What can i do?Must i instal a driver for my video card?And if i do from where?I tried the nvidia home page but there is only one file(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run) and I don't know how to run it.
I've tried using xf86config but it didn't work(maybe because i don't have any drivers installed :p)

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

Try this excellent howto for nvidia drivers:
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian- ... ation.html

jimbo-62

#3 Post by jimbo-62 »

Sarge with 2.6.8 kernel has no problems with my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 video card. I select the "nv" driver from the list presented during X configuration. With the 2.4 kernel, I had to use the "vesa" driver to make it work.

I almost forgot, during X configuration make sure you select ALL of the resolutions that you want to use.

Good luck, jimbo