Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE doesn't start properly

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
JoeBaldwin

KDE doesn't start properly

#1 Post by JoeBaldwin »

Hi,

I just installed Debian on my AMD Duron 1.8GHz with 384MB of RAM, and am trying to use KDE. However, when I try and start KDE from say XDM, the splash screen appears and hangs on "Initializing system services". After about thirty seconds of that, the splash screen disappears leaving nothing but a gray screen. After a while of that, I am returned to XDM.

However, if I start KDE from an xterm by running "startkde" then about 5 minutes after the splash screen disappears the panel appears without icons, the KDE startup sound plays and the Tip Of The Day dialog appears. 5 minutes after that, the panel icons and the desktop appear.

So, what is going on, and how can I fix this?

#2 Post by Guest »

You may be getting a conflict between xdm and kdm. Which display manager are you using by default?

jimbo