Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ledzgio

Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

#1 Post by ledzgio »

Hi all,

I would like to install Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing. Apart of compiling the code from GIT, is there any alternative to get it working?

Alternatevely, is there any way to install Cinnamon 1.8 on Debian testing as well? I tried by adding this repo

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main import

but it has problem with dependencies (while I can install it on Debian stable).

Thanks for your support.

bw123

Re: Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

#2 Post by bw123 »

did you search the forum for cinnamon?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=108488
resigned by AI ChatGPT

mor

#3 Post by mor »

Cinnamon 1.7.4-2.2 is in unstable right now. If you don't mind pulling some stuff (most of which is gnome3.8 related, therefor about to migrate to testing soon anyway) from sid you can have it easy peasy.

jube

#4 Post by jube »

Cinnamon 2.02 built from git, for jessie and backported

i developed a bunch of scripts to build cinnamon from git, for jessie and kali ( wheezy)
I am running the jessie version on my kali-jessie mix box, and its perfect.
Thought i would share the scripts and built binaries they are here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/KALI-JESSIE

I would really like testers for the wheezy/kali builds since am not running either as "standard"

I am running the enitire cinnamon stack ( cinnamon session, settings deamon etc) which i find gives much better screen resolution on my nvidia driver

In the same git you will also find the latest compiz from saucy pached to hell and recompiled for debian testing and stable, not tested at all though :)

germulvey

#5 Post by germulvey »

I'm using wheezy and use the linuxmint debian repo to use cinnamon 1.8
So far all runs really well with no issues. I use the following mirror due to it being the fastest for me.

Code: Select all

# LMDE repo for firefox
deb http://speglar.simnet.is/mint/packages/ debian main import
As for cinnamon 2 I have yet to try due to the many changes it has. Tried in a few distros including mint 15 but always have issues causing it to fail.

jube

#6 Post by jube »

Cinnamon 2.02 good on my sid/jessie box, no big issues, a few minor annoyances with nemo but that could be due to my custom patch,
On the whole a cracking good desktop.
I am using cinnamon-session and cinnamon-settings-deamon and cinnamon-control-centre all good, and a lot better than the gnome offerings of the same name, there obviously has been some real work in that direction, even documentration has been updated.
It takes time using it to appreciate all the little touches, but if you take the time you will see its the best "standard" desktop out there.
The git version is very much faster aswell, works best with sid messa stack and sid nvidia stack and sid python, then really flies :)

Having said all that (ubuntu)compiz/emerald with cinnamon-session and cinnamon-settings-deamon is twice as fast and looks loads better, runs nice on my sid/jesssie box, but having trouble gettting everything to talk through gsettings/dbus

add...

my repo with cinnamon 2.02 for testing/stable/unstable has been removed ( seemed zero interest so removed it, save clogging up github )
but the scripts to build both all the cinnamon gits ( including nemo and muffin ), AND compiz from ubuntu saucy ( using chroot and pbuilder) are still available here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/debian.git
if i get interest will put up a dedicated built-packages git

ledzgio

#7 Post by ledzgio »

jube wrote:Cinnamon 2.02 built from git, for jessie and backported

i developed a bunch of scripts to build cinnamon from git, for jessie and kali ( wheezy)
I am running the jessie version on my kali-jessie mix box, and its perfect.
Thought i would share the scripts and built binaries they are here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/KALI-JESSIE

I would really like testers for the wheezy/kali builds since am not running either as "standard"

I am running the enitire cinnamon stack ( cinnamon session, settings deamon etc) which i find gives much better screen resolution on my nvidia driver

In the same git you will also find the latest compiz from saucy pached to hell and recompiled for debian testing and stable, not tested at all though :)
I have problems running your scripts, in particular

aaa-common-functions and aaa-master-config, they don't work. Why don't you make a single script file or, even better, bring up a deb repository?

thanks

jube

#8 Post by jube »

aaa-common functions and aaa-master config are sourced by the other build scripts, they do nothing on their own :), it should be in the read me
there is a makefile in the git now,

'make install' will put everything where it needs to be

then run aaa-setup-tmpfs
followed by
aaa-setup-build-env
then either of the compiz or cinnamon scrpts

but yes if you interested will put up a git of built packages for the various distros, i can turn it into a repo no problem, but dont want to serve my own repo, my computer is not on constantly.
Will put up the git tonight and build a fresh set,
Beware though i am making modifications to some parts of Cinnamon and have heavily modded the compiz package, all the changes are in the patches and scripts.

edit

buit packages now here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/deb ... c-packages , uploading slowly

ledzgio

#9 Post by ledzgio »

jube wrote:aaa-common functions and aaa-master config are sourced by the other build scripts, they do nothing on their own :), it should be in the read me

then run aaa-setup-tmpfs
followed by
aaa-setup-build-env

but yes if you interested will put up a git of built packages for the various distros, i can turn it into a repo no problem, but dont want to serve my own repo, my computer is not on constantly.
Beware though i am making modifications to some parts of Cinnamon and have heavily modded the compiz package, all the changes are in the patches and scripts.

edit

buit packages now here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/deb ... c-packages , uploading slowly
Thats great thank you.

Which kind of modifications you made? Can I use compiz from debian repo instead?

p.s. you should modify the readme on how to compile packages, it is not very clear.

ledzgio

#10 Post by ledzgio »

jube wrote:aaa-common functions and aaa-master config are sourced by the other build scripts, they do nothing on their own :), it should be in the read me

then run aaa-setup-tmpfs
followed by
aaa-setup-build-env

edit

I am trying to compile from source (but I will use the packages made by you as well) but the 'make install' doesn't work, "no rule to make target install'. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

jube

#11 Post by jube »

just tried make install and all ok
make sure you have pulled the latest git, cd into aaa-build-scripts_0.1, 'make install'

I made quite a few modifications to compiz, mainly in the packaging, remember this is the LATEST compiz from ubuntu saucy, so as standard not compatible with debian.
First i had to apply a python2 patch to allow build on wheezy/kali, then strip all the ubuntu specific files, including all unity refs, removed a whole bunch of ubuntu patches which i thought were uneccesarry,
changed the gconf keys, like i said its all in the patch, just open it up and see for self :)
It should now work with emerald AND gtk-window-decorator, but i use emerald so not sure.

With Cinnamon have developed a nemo patch to remove the annoying red bar when working in root, also changed deps to allow nemo to work with pup-vm, a udisks and gvfs replacement

nath

#12 Post by nath »

jube wrote:my repo with cinnamon 2.02 for testing/stable/unstable has been removed ( seemed zero interest so removed it, save clogging up github )
but the scripts to build both all the cinnamon gits ( including nemo and muffin ), AND compiz from ubuntu saucy ( using chroot and pbuilder) are still available here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/debian.git
I wanted to install Cinnamon 2 on a Debian sid laptop where I have Gnome 3 installed, but couldn't get your script to work (pbuilder hangs while trying to download something from the repos).

I also saw you have precompiled debs at https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/debian and installed those, however I had the following problems:

1) dialog boxes appear as "unthemed" (gtk2 engines, pixbuf, etc. are installed)
2) screen lock doesn't work, control panel (settings) is incomplete
3) the network manager applet works fine with LAN, but lacks the wireless part

I guess I'm missing some other packages... Well, it looks like I'll have to wait until Cinnamon 2 hits the official LMDE repository.

jube

#13 Post by jube »

hmmm are you using cinnamon settings deamon and cinnamon session ?.
On my box i am using all the cinnamon components and have uninstalled gnome settings deamon, the cinnamon and gnome versions clash.
The scripts should and do work, after all where do you think the built packages came from :)
Pbuilder often hangs when downloading thats why i wrote a dialog for you to retry the failed download.

Again on my box everything works, none of the problems you are refering to, but i am using a root account if that makes any difference, but doubt it.

Check you are running a pure cinnamon session ( ie not using gnome-session and gnome-settings deamon to host your cinnamon session ) and try again,
if still issues try uninstall gnome-settings deamon

There is a seperate issue though, the most recent cinnamon seems to have some issues regarding processor performance, on my 8 core ( hyper threading)
4 cores are constanty at 10-15 % , its the cinnamon process doing it, im assuming its the normal crap you get from running git versions, so i am going to compile the
release (2.0 i think) and see if its different

and dont forget to use cinnamon-control-centre rather than the gnome version :)

jube

#14 Post by jube »

Actually had a thought, to anyone having troubles with downloads, in aaa-master-config you will find all sorts of interesting vars that you can change to suite your own setup
one of them is mirror location, change that to one better suiting your geographical location, im in denmark, so if your in northern europe you should be ok otherwise
change the setting

nath

#15 Post by nath »

I'm sure your scripts work, i must have forgot to configure something as pbuilder was trying to download a file containing the word "undefined" or something like that (can't remember). As for the debs, I was using a freshly installed Debian sid, so it was probably lacking packages, engines, themes or something else usually available in Mint. I'll try again later. Anyway, thanks for your work.

jube

#16 Post by jube »

nath wrote:I'm sure your scripts work, i must have forgot to configure something as pbuilder was trying to download a file containing the word "undefined" or something like that (can't remember). As for the debs, I was using a freshly installed Debian sid, so it was probably lacking packages, engines, themes or something else usually available in Mint. I'll try again later. Anyway, thanks for your work.
yep no idea what thats about :)
no, you do not need anything from ubuntu or mint period,
but i can see that installation can be a thorny issue for people not used to setting up various desktop environs
so will come up with a script to do it, i have just re-installed sid-kali so as i reinstall cinnamon will script the process up at the same time will add
a script to build cinnamon from release instead of direcly from git.
As said before i work exclusivly in a root environment, so if your desktop is full of permissions, you will have to add sudo everywhere :)

nath

#17 Post by nath »

jube wrote:no, you do not need anything from ubuntu or mint period, but i can see that installation can be a thorny issue for people not used to setting up various desktop environs
I just installed a bare-bones Debian sid, then I installed the Cinnamon 2 DEBs from VolMi (see last comments in this post: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/h ... -from-git/) and let apt-get solve their dependencies (which pulled xserver, gnome, avahi and lots of other stuff). Guess what... same issues: control panel and screen lock don't work, no wireless in the nm applet, etc. So probably there IS something I need to add on a fresh Debian installation to make it work properly...

jube

#18 Post by jube »

nath wrote:
jube wrote:no, you do not need anything from ubuntu or mint period, but i can see that installation can be a thorny issue for people not used to setting up various desktop environs
I just installed a bare-bones Debian sid, then I installed the Cinnamon 2 DEBs from VolMi (see last comments in this post: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/h ... -from-git/) and let apt-get solve their dependencies (which pulled xserver, gnome, avahi and lots of other stuff). Guess what... same issues: control panel and screen lock don't work, no wireless in the nm applet, etc. So probably there IS something I need to add on a fresh Debian installation to make it work properly...
Nope your doing everything correct, but configuring your session is where you are messing up.
you need to uninstall gnome-settings-deamon, have your session file in cinnamon-session/sessions dir, etc etc. basically you need a PURE cinnamon session :)
Im not going to write a tutorial here cos im in the process of scripting the process anyway :)
but if you google about a bit about where session files live and how gnome/cinnamon session sources them youll be well on the way :) , youll prob crack it before i make my install script :)
Talking of which i have a fresh setup, and am setting the scripts up from scratch, so will try to recreate your prob

had to laugh that last post was pointing to my github :) :)

nath

#19 Post by nath »

jube wrote:Im not going to write a tutorial here cos im in the process of scripting the process anyway :)
Great, I'll try your script then :)

jube

#20 Post by jube »

hang on for a few hours if your using latest git, its unstable as im adding the release build functions, be finished 6 hours max :)