Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nath

Re: Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

#31 Post by nath »

jube wrote:see which components of gnome-core you may be missing, obvious important ones are gconf/dconf gvfs, the gtk,s gnome-pannel, terminal, etc
The following important packages were missing: gtk2-engines gvfs-bin dconf-tools network-manager-gnome gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gnome-terminal, so I installed them and tried to login... same issues.

I also installed jdk7 and jre, although I don't think those are required for a bare-bones Cinnamon. And I verified libpam-modules-bin which was suggested on Linux Mint forums but was already installed anyway.

Finally out of curiosity i also tried installing these (also missing among the other gnome-* stuff): gnome-packagekit gnome-power-manager gnome-control-center, but nothing changed so I removed them.

Of course i rebooted each time, verified installation of packages, etc. Don't know what to think... as I said, installing it is clearly not my thing :lol:

jube

#32 Post by jube »

right damn it !!!

First no you are doing great, you obviously know what you are doing and have set up a system many times, so no more beating youself up :)
Im curious enough to find out to, im going to set up everything on a vm tonight and will give you a definate answer tommorrow.
I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)
will post in 12 hours with solution one way or other

jube

#33 Post by jube »

ledzgio wrote:@Jube
Why your release-builds are now for sid? do you think is better to use testing or sid?

thanks
much better using testing, its just that new nvidia drivers and cuda are late in testing and i need them, plus upstream are really really current
even sid is often to old ( as is the case for a few nemo-extensions ) so have been forced to sid ( with gun to head )
I have not been building for the other distros untill there is a lot more demand, if loads of people request a testing or kali set
will do a run, but not till then

nath

#34 Post by nath »

jube wrote:I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)

BTW this is the iso I have used (netinst): http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso

jube

#35 Post by jube »

ok quick check before i go exploring your prob, this is the package order you should be installing in, you anywhere near this?
have you got em all (debugs and devel not essential)

dpkg -i cinnamon-translations_2.0.2-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-desktop-data_2.0.3-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-desktop0_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-desktop-dev_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cjs_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcjs0c_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcjs-dev_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo-data_2.0.6-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-settings-daemon_2.0.7-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-settings-daemon-dev_2.0.7-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-session_2.0.5-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-session-common_2.0.5-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i muffin-common_2.0.4-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i muffin_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i muffin-dbg_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libmuffin0_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libmuffin-dev_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-muffin-3.0_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-control-center-data_2.0.8-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-common_2.0.12-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon_2.0.12-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-dbg_2.0.12-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-control-center_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-control-center1_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-control-center-dev_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo-dbg_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libnemo-extension1_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libnemo-extension-dev_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-nemo-3.0_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-bluetooth_3.8.2-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-screensaver_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb

jube

#36 Post by jube »

nath wrote:
jube wrote:I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)

BTW this is the iso I have used (netinst): http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso
Right just loaded the immage from this disk link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso

and that link is wheezy! my packages are for sid, did you upgrade to sid or something ?????

Now im here anyway will test the deb-install script i made for you :)

edit...... ok think thats your problem, can you try with sid? there is a install from deb script, totally untested unfortunatly :)

nath

#37 Post by nath »

jube wrote:Right just loaded the immage from this disk link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso
and that link is wheezy! my packages are for sid, did you upgrade to sid or something ?????
I forgot to say you have to choose expert install from the menu, then it asks which repo you want to use: stable, testing or unstable.

As for the packages, I simply downloaded ALL the debs available in your git (recent build, i verified i have everything you have listed in your post), then dpkg -i *.deb and finally apt-get install -f

jube

#38 Post by jube »

ah ok :)
back on it then :)
will post later with results, thanks.
( wow things have changed with the install medium, last i remember one had to have a sepperate install
disk for testing/unstable, its nice to se it all integrated)

jube

#39 Post by jube »

Right looking at a perfectly running cinnamon setup on my vm.

Yes your problem was the method of installing the debs,

apt-get install -f

pulls in gnome-settings deamon and session and a bunch of stuff you dont want.
# on tasksel chose laptop and standard utils
#apt-get install git
#git clone "git://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/debian-public-packages.git"
#cd debian-public-packages
#./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb
what i did was run the new install script a few times ( was testing ), obviously building up lots of broken deps,

then apt-get install -f

which pulled in lots of deps for me, but at same time pulled in stuff did not want

then aptitude>gnome-core and cleaned out gnome settings de, session, gnome control panel etc ( everything thats already covered by cinnamon)

ran ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again

and it all went in, startx then am in, i cant find any of the faults you mentioned,
everything works ok, even software rendering mode great

please note i am in middle of modding ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again to use gdebi and get round the dep nightmare :)

nath

#40 Post by nath »

jube wrote:please note i am in middle of modding ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again to use gdebi and get round the dep nightmare :)
Great news then, I'll wait for the updated script and use that to make sure my apt "karma" doesn't get in the way :)

nath

#41 Post by nath »

Jube,
I've decided to try your build scripts again and I'm happy to report that they work fine on a freshly installed sid (I must have done something wrong with the configuration file the first time). The only minor issue I had has to do with aaa-setup-tmpfs, it failed when trying to do "apt-get install wget pbuilder reprepro cat grep" because cat is not a valid package name. So I manually run apt-get (removing "cat" from the list, it's already installed anyway). Also, I had to install curl.

Currently I have successfully built most packages but the Mint github paths must have changed, so the script fails e.g. when trying to get https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-themes/archive/ Any suggestion on how to fix this, and can it resume the building process from here or must I start all over?

Thanks so much for your work! :)

nath

#42 Post by nath »

jube wrote:There is one regression i am looking at tho, eariler versions of cinnamon seem to render a lot better, ie higher apparent resolution for a given display ( ie 1920x1080)
And new X stack is not taking custom DPI arguments, there is something UP!!! with messa/x/gtk3 and its really pissing me off, if you dual booting with windows 7
its really clear, windows is puttting 1/3 more data on the screen, thats cos its using the correct DPI for this high DPI screen.
Have you found any clue as to the issue? Do you know if this happens in other distros, e.g. Kali?

jube

#43 Post by jube »

yea i think the themes are being dropped, last time i saw it only contained mint and default, will check, i am no longer maintaining the git script, the releases are just a few days away from the git commits, and a lot cleaner, given that seems no point in building from git, the relese script has had a lot of improvements and bug squashing.
Its GREAT you are using the build scripts, i have had a bloody nighhtmare trying to make the deb-install script work the way i want, gdebi keeps f#%¤#%¤ing my vm, and dont have a spare partition to test properly.
But the script is there and finished, just impossible for me to test thouroughly.
Using the build script you have your own local repo, its just a matter of apt-update then into aptitude to install, so much hassle and chasing deps is solved :)

Yea been working on the dpi full bore, it seems a long long fix, first am fixing font rendering, you will find new fontconfig-infinality packages in the git, this provides close to windows7 subpixel font rendering, second am reverting a default dpi patch found in cinnamon-settings-deamon, and slowly tackling the xorg dpi thing, it seems some apps take dpi info from xorg ( eg firefox) some other from gsettings, some from frigg knows where, have to find em all and point everything to some sensible CHANGEABLE key/variable, finally ned to change size/dpi of nemo graphics ( seems window boarders scale auto but thats it )

nath

#44 Post by nath »

jube wrote:am reverting a default dpi patch found in cinnamon-settings-deamon, and slowly tackling the xorg dpi thing
You may want to sign in at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/ and let Clem know about the dpi issue in Cinnamon. Oh and thanks for the infinality packages, I thought CFF would suffice but from what I've read infinality is still the best font rendering solution.

jube

#45 Post by jube »

nath wrote:
jube wrote:am reverting a default dpi patch found in cinnamon-settings-deamon, and slowly tackling the xorg dpi thing
You may want to sign in at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/ and let Clem know about the dpi issue in Cinnamon. Oh and thanks for the infinality packages, I thought CFF would suffice but from what I've read infinality is still the best font rendering solution.
To tell truth have no idea how to contribute to cinnamon although i would like to, i think its really really good, and love the code culture.
Found the base infinality packages at github, but they need cleaning up a little, there is a circular dependency have to sort out, will be done by monday :)
Just finished a big change-set with the build scripts, post the new install/build instructions tomorrow and update readme at same time.
The DPI issue is tought but its part of a bigger problem, there are 5 different config systems at work, dconf,gconf,gsettings,xconf,and cinnamon-settings-deamon, the obvious answer is to harmonise the packages to use 1 system, i have my eyes on this
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Elektra/ which promisses similar performance to windows registry and much more important promisses a stable API.
But DPI is first and there is a fair amount of code work there, but i think its essential, any linux desktop needs to put the same sort of information density onscreen as win7
Looking at chunky post-war russian fonts and icons is not the way to go :)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#46 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

jube wrote:The DPI issue is tought but its part of a bigger problem, there are 5 different config systems at work, dconf,gconf,gsettings,xconf,and cinnamon-settings-deamon, the obvious answer is to harmonise the packages to use 1 system, i have my eyes on this
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Elektra/ which promisses similar performance to windows registry and much more important promisses a stable API.
But DPI is first and there is a fair amount of code work there, but i think its essential, any linux desktop needs to put the same sort of information density onscreen as win7
Looking at chunky post-war russian fonts and icons is not the way to go :)
Wow, is it really worse than win7?
I've been trying to find a way to improve the shitty DPI I get in Win, but it seems the only two choices are large and larger ...

X ftw.

So the problem you are describing is just "settings layer" issue and is purely related to the infrastructure required to draw the box and checkbox and spin control widgets to set the setting by clickety-clicking?

Because I just put

Code: Select all

Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
Option          "DPI" "81 x 81"
in my xorg.conf and it works fine.
In any DE or WM.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

jube

#47 Post by jube »

Nope have to say the level of detail between win7 and any linux desktop on my asus gs53 is remarkable, since i dual boot all the time i really notice it,
But then i really do know my way round windows ( to the point of authoring my own versions) so have tweaked my win setups a bit, but even standard its in a different leauge.
font rendering is only part of it, windows boarders, icons well everything is lots more delicate, the lines on a pixel-to pixel are MUCH finer, cinnamon had
an element of that delicacy till recently ( last week )

Option "UseEdidDpi" "False"
Option "DPI" "81 x 81"

yep great, i use same version for nvidia, but it ony affects some apps, does NOTHING for the icons, window frames, and most of the desktop fonts on cinnamon
and since all the boarders etc take valluable desktop space i need them as delicate/small as possible.

Have no idea how we have got to the settings situation we are in, just know instintivly it needs sorting, linux developers are drowning in all this crap,
even as a beginer who is trying to write simple code, i got no idea what the hell to use for my settings, since nothing is going to work in 6 months as all the API's dance about.
So bugger it, if no one else cares i do , and will work by self to fix it :)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#48 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

:lol:

By all means, carry on and fix all that broken FOSS stuff, so it can be shiny and smooooth (just like win7).

It's a wonder no-one has thought to do it before - oh wait - they tried but lacked the required skills, no?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

jube

#49 Post by jube »

YEP :) :)
i absolutly do lack the necessary code skills :) :) :)
but seems im all there is at the moment, so what the hell, its good excuse to get proficient at c/c++, bash and python.
im not trying to save world, but what im after ( yes something to challenge win7 ) seems appaulingly simple,
all the main stuff is there, the kernel is excellent, the graphics stack excellent and getting better, ( not a foss fan, ill use anything can get hands on ),
i mean look at android and surfacefinger, if you ran that without a java vm, WOW
It seems to me getting the perfect hi-res effect is just matter of tweaking stuff, i dont see any majour re-writes of anything,
and that applies to all the other things have eyes on,
eg i have replaced udisks2/gvfs ( on way to removing polkit,consolekit) and everything works like a dream, was not that hard, did not take long
just took a willingness to think unconventially and effectivly, with a purpose and a plan :)

Ok build scripts have had total rewrite, cinnamon-themes and nemo-extensions have no releses so had to apply ability to mix release/git biulds on a package baisis, a pain :)
all the makfiles are out of date, i am using aaa-linkup scripts, same as make but uses links ( -c to clen )
easiest way of install is aaa-install-all in base of git
docs updated
everything works, but maybe a bug or 2 left, new builds will be in package git later

nath

#50 Post by nath »

Let's see... replaced polkit and consolekit, improving dpi and font rendering, centralized settings, up to date cinnamon on top of pure debian... now that would make an innovative distro, unlike the thousand ubuntu clones on distrowatch :D