Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A Little Help - startx, xdm, etc.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jimbo-62

A Little Help - startx, xdm, etc.

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I have a very lean Etch installation from a minimal, netinst CD. The system booted to a command line prompt with no problems.

Then I installed x-window-system. No problems with the configuration, since I have done this before and have detailed notes. I didn't install KDE because I want to experiment with just the base X Window.

But, here are the questions/problems.

The system boots to an X Window login screen and after login, it is a cross hatch screen with a mouse pointer but no xterm or any other window, just the cross hatch "GUI". So, there must be a config file somewhere that I need to edit to get a usable window of some sort?? Or maybe I need to install another package??

I would like the system to boot to the command line for login, then manually start an X Window session. What file(s) do I need to edit to accomplish this?

Later, I will install KDE, but I want to start the KDE GUI manually at the beginning. So the system would boot to a command line for login, then I would start KDE. Even later, I would like the system to boot to the KDE login window.

Can someone tell me what/where/how to accomplish this learning experience??

Thanks for any help, jimbo

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

You

a) need a window manager (try fluxbox, windowmaker, or fvwm2)

b) need to create a file called .xinitrc in your home directory. for starters, just put the name of the window manager in this file:

Code: Select all

fluxbox
then simply startx and you should start fine. google for a x-windows howto and it should give you some more ideas for fine tuning.