Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE doesn't shutdown or reboot

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
llivv

Re: LXDE doesn't shutdown or reboot

#16 Post by llivv »

F1computerexperts wrote:I installed siduction originally because of the systemd support. Too bad I couldn't change the icon theme, tho. Any of us that use sid or jessie KNOW that things are going to break at some point. It's not a matter of if, but when. If things get too wild and break my system in rapid succession, then I pull out the Ubuntu disk. :D
Explaining that in your first post would be better,

but you've still missed the points about running a mixed system

and recommending using a mixed system to others.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

alderaan

#17 Post by alderaan »

For those of us on Debian LXDE following Testing (jessie) the bug is there.
Systemd is the default now so if the solution is to uninstall systemd there must be a better solution sometime soon (or not so soon).

PAP

#18 Post by PAP »

alderaan wrote:For those of us on Debian LXDE following Testing (jessie) the bug is there.
Systemd is the default now so if the solution is to uninstall systemd there must be a better solution sometime soon (or not so soon).
I have 2090 packages installed on my Debian jessie (amd64), and the only one that had systemd as a dependency was network-manager (which I got rid of in favor of the -much better- wicd.) I can't see how systemd "is the default now", even on jessie.
Furthermore, Internet is literally full of posts about systemd issues, so my only conclusion is that it is too early to switch to systemd and face issues like that for no reason, other than "living on the edge".
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

llivv

#19 Post by llivv »

PAP wrote: I have 2090 packages installed on my Debian jessie (amd64), and the only one that had systemd as a dependency was network-manager (which I got rid of in favor of the -much better- wicd.) I can't see how systemd "is the default now", even on jessie.
I'd suggest considering yourself lucky.
I have a minimal jessie install with a minimal X and I'm currently holding 16 packages to keep all systemd related packages from getting installed.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

felipe

#20 Post by felipe »

I have a similar issue, i have installed Debian 7.5 LXDE i686 then I upgraded to Jessie and Installed Gnome Desktop task and I removed LXDe desktop, I can't shut down the system but I believe is something about GDM because with Lightdm I can shutdown.

Edit: i can shutdown the system if i add "init=/bin/systemd" to the kernel line. I guess is time to move to systemd.

alderaan

#21 Post by alderaan »

felipe wrote: Edit: i can shutdown the system if i add "init=/bin/systemd" to the kernel line. I guess is time to move to systemd.
This does not work for me.
Debian 8 Jessie (Testing) LXDE.
felipe wrote: I believe is something about GDM because with Lightdm I can shutdown
I don't have GDM but lightdm

PAP

#22 Post by PAP »

The problem is getting worse after a recent dist-update. Now more packages have the damn systemd as a dependency. I'm afraid that, sooner or later, I will have to deal with all the issues coming with systemd, which is the exact opposite of KISS, and, sadly, that's not systemd's worse part. Binary logs, for god's sake! For what? for making booting process (arguably) faster.

And it's not only that. A simple search on the internet (including Debian lists) will reveal loads of arrogant answers by systemd's initial developer, basically bashing anyone who dares to say the obvious: that systemd sucks big time. I really wish Debian would reject systemd. I have to say that, if it keeps going that way, I will start to think about Slackware again, after many-many years using Debian, and loving it...
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

goulo

#23 Post by goulo »

PAP wrote:I really wish Debian would reject systemd. I have to say that, if it keeps going that way, I will start to think about Slackware again, after many-many years using Debian, and loving it...
Or Gentoo (I'll probably shift to Gentoo if systemd becomes required on my Debian install).

Especially in light of the heartbleed bug in openssl, I'm very leery of unnecessarily adding huge piles of hastily developed monolithic spaghetti code by a dubious developer with a history of bad development practices to my system. systemd is unnecessary, and it's an obvious source of large numbers of exploitable security bugs and backdoors (intentional or unintentional). (I rather suspect that the NSA et al are quite happy to see so many Linux distributions - and so much Linux software - starting to unnecessarily depend on systemd.)

To say nothing of binary logs, indeed. :)

PS: FWIW Ignorant Guru's blog (sadly on hiatus now) has a fair number of interesting articles/discussions about the evident risks & problems of systemd. E.g.
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... t-systemd/

ArtaxerxesFr

#24 Post by ArtaxerxesFr »

PAP wrote: Solution: Get rid of systemd. There are plenty of threads out there proving switching to systemd is not an easy task, and I don't think it is a good choice anyway, at least for now. This, however, will break network-manager package. Not a big deal. Just install a very good alternative, namely wicd; you might also want to install wicd-gtk for a graphical front-end). Then purge network-manager and all its dependencies, plus network-manager-gnome, if you have it installed too.
Hi, I dig up this topic because I have the same problem than anyone. I tried to fix it by the means explainded by PAP.

Now things are gone worst :
- In the log out menu there are no longer reboot, shutdown and hibernate"
- In synaptic, the "lxtasks" package turned to "Installed (can be removed"
- When I try to run "lxde-logout" or "lxsession-logout", I keep have Dbus error message :

Code: Select all

xxx@yyy:~$ lxsession-logout 

** (lxsession-logout:6073): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:108: DBUS: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files

** (lxsession-logout:6073): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:108: DBUS: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files

** (lxsession-logout:6073): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:108: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

** (lxsession-logout:6073): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:108: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

Does anyone as an idea about the way I can fix theses problems please ?

By the way :
- I'm running a Debian 7.5 with testing/jessie repos
- I'm quite a beginner on Debian and Linux

hakerdefo

#25 Post by hakerdefo »

ArtaxerxesFr wrote:

Code: Select all

xxx@yyy:~$ lxsession-logout 

The errors indicate that you are missing following packages,

policykit-1
hal

Installing them could solve the errors!
Cheers!!!

ArtaxerxesFr

#26 Post by ArtaxerxesFr »

Hi Hakerdefo,

thanks a lot for your help ! I'll try this tip and let you know when it will works.

Bye.

edik

#27 Post by edik »

create aliases:
vim .bash_aliases
alias halt='systemctl poweroff'
alias reboot='systemctl reboot'
zz #save & exit

source .bashrc && voila you'll shutdown or reboot

mdmarmer

#28 Post by mdmarmer »

Adding init=/bin/systemd to the kernel boot line fixed the problem for me. Now I have the correct logout menu and all the options work, including shutdown and reboot

deusdara

#29 Post by deusdara »

mdmarmer wrote:Adding init=/bin/systemd to the kernel boot line fixed the problem for me. Now I have the correct logout menu and all the options work, including shutdown and reboot
Hi

Please, could you elaborate better what file edit?

Thank you in advance

alderaan

#30 Post by alderaan »

deusdara wrote:
mdmarmer wrote:Adding init=/bin/systemd to the kernel boot line fixed the problem for me. Now I have the correct logout menu and all the options work, including shutdown and reboot
Hi

Please, could you elaborate better what file edit?

Thank you in advance
While booting and when you are at the grub menu you can press "e" and then you are able to change some settings on your default booting options. What you have to do for this to work is to use the arrow keys to go to the linux kernel line and then press the "End" key on your keyboard to go to the end of the line and there you can just add this " init=/bin/systemd" (there is an empty space before the "init"). Then you boot the machine (this change is not permanent and you will have to do all this at every boot).

If this is working for you and you want to make this a permanent change you have to edit the file "/etc/default/grub" and go the line that starts with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" and add there the above mentioned init thing, in my file the line looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet init=/bin/systemd"

after saving the changes to the file you will have to update grub with the command "update-grub" and then you are ready to go!

Lou

#31 Post by Lou »

Change window manager to icewm/fluxbox/jwm etc, in the meantime;

# halt -p to shutdown
# reboot

all this from the terminal
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid