Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Windows overview in XFCE

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
yzT

[SOLVED]Windows overview in XFCE

#1 Post by yzT »

Moving to a hot corner or using a shortcut, is it possible to have a preview of all opened windows in XFCE? Something like the top left corner in Gnome, KDE or Cinnamon.
Last edited by yzT on 2014-03-25 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Windows overview in XFCE

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Not in Xfce proper, but you can use Skippy XD, it's a tool that mimics Mac OS's Exposé feature.
The .deb fine provided on the website is for Ubuntu, but installs perfectly fine on Debian Stable.

https://code.google.com/p/skippy-xd/

keithpeter

#3 Post by keithpeter »

Probably not what you want, but I

1) set a 3px 'margin' on the right in the Settings | Workspaces command, so that even maximised windows don't cover that margin and some of the desktop can be seen

2) then I use middle click anywhere over the desktop to get a list of all the windows in all the workspaces. If I have a window maximised, I can move pointer to the right edge where my margin is

3) have just made a custom short-cut using Settings | Keyboard Shortcuts for the command xfdesktop --windowlist as in

http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5969

which I just Googled! quite nice.

yzT

#4 Post by yzT »

that skippy-xd works flawlessly

ruffwoof

Re: [SOLVED]Windows overview in XFCE

#5 Post by ruffwoof »

If you just want to run Openbox without Tint2, lxpanel .... whatever, then brightside (in the Debian repositories) enables hot corners to be set up ... that can call skippy-xd. I have mine set to the bottom left corner. If you right click a window whilst in skippy the window will minimise, middle-click and it will be closed.

Add stalonetray (also in the repositories) and set that to be docked perhaps in the top left corner as I have it, and auto hide ... and the likes of orage, wicd, skype ... etc tray icons are easily accessible.

Setting a margin of a few pixels on the left hand screen edge is my preferred setup (rather than the right as mentioned earlier), so when a window is full screened you can still access the menu (mouse to left hand screen edge and right-click) or use the middle button to switch to a desktop, or mouse scroll to flip through the desktops ...etc. And/or set up a hot key (I have mine set to the Menu key i.e. similar to a Windows/Special key, but on the other side of the spacebar).

Complete that with Conky so you have a desktop date/time and system overview (or whatever (weather etc.)).

Animated gif that steps through a handful of screenshots.

Once you get used to things that way its good IMO. And fast also as you're just using Debian standard (command line) with xorg and openbox.