Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't use removable devices on Jessie

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
grephead

Can't use removable devices on Jessie

#1 Post by grephead »

Hello everybody!

After an upgrade I can't mount usb devices from graphical file managers (thunar, pcmanfm, nautilus) because I only get the message

Code: Select all

Not authorized to perform operation. 
but I am able to do so only from command line, like this:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt
The strange thing is that also root is not authorized to mount devices via gui.
Also, I'm not able to mount DVDs (device connected via IDE).
On another computer - a notebook - I'm not able to use wireless connections at all, neither with an usb wireless key nor with the pci wifi card. I'm never authorized by the network manager to manage the connection, and they never become active.
Both the pcs have debian Jessie/Sid, with KDE (on the notebook) and Fluxbox (on the desktop, which also have KDE installed). While there are some gnome programs here and there, there is no full installation of gnome environment in both computers.
The "main" users in the pcs are in netdev, plugdev, cdrom groups (between the others).

How can I resolve this situation?
Thank you :-)

aplistir

Re: Can't use removable devices on Jessie

#2 Post by aplistir »

Does your user belong to group "plugdev" ?

You can check what groups you belong by typing (in terminal)
groups

-Edit: Sorry didnt read the end of your post. apparently you already belong to the plugdev-group

PAP

#3 Post by PAP »

My guess is your gui filemanager doesn't know where to mount the device. Maybe adding something like this to /etc/fstab will do:

/dev/sdc1  /media/removable ntfs-3g     rw,users,noauto,umask=0000  0       0
where /media/removable (or whatever your mounting directory would be) must be a directory you have full access as a user, and "ntfs-3g" is the file system, according to your example (you will need to have the ntfs-3g package installed, but since you can mount that usb stick from command line you probably have ntfs-3g already installed.)
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

grephead

#4 Post by grephead »

But all of my file manager were correctly mounting all the devices before about one week ago. Also I can't mount cds and dvds , while there is the correct line in fstab.
Also, the problem regards internet connectivity on one of the two computers...which doesn't require mounting anything.

obry

#5 Post by obry »

same problem as grephead here.

I'm not authorized to mount my usb stick partitions (ext4, btrfs, fat32) and my harddrives (ext4) and my second internal drive (lvm + dmcrypt). That I can not mount the last one annoys me very much, since I don't know how to mount a dmcrypt partition from console.
At least the others I can work around mounting it from a shell - but this is not comfortable at all.

Hoping for input!
Regards

grephead

#6 Post by grephead »

[OT] Obry, could this be of some help?[/OT]
By the way, it seems that the problem is due to some incompatibility between two versions of some internal software used by gnome. That, of course, affects a lot of other software.
Well, I think that I have to reinstall. Not that it's statisfactory...

obry

#7 Post by obry »

grephead, thanks. Seems that i can at least mount my dmcrypt partitions with this. I'll try this tomorrow.

Concerning reinstallation: By chance I did a clean install of debian jessy, using the latest netinst. Only xorg + fluxbox + thunar and the mounting problem exists on this installation as well...

hope to see a genuine solution to the problem..! :)

grephead

#8 Post by grephead »

;)

I've installed a (not-so-) old debian testing on the notebook (the pc that couldn't use wireless due to this problem) and now it works, even if some packages are problematic (for example, I can't install vlc due to broken dependencies).
Before trying an old one, I've downloaded the most recent debian testing and...surprise!!! It gave me an error while installing the fuse package and leaved me without a complete OS in the computer.
By the way, I don't want to reinstall debian on my desktop so...if anyone has an idea let's hear it! :D

obry

#9 Post by obry »

My use of USB devices is at an all time low :cry:

hakerdefo

#10 Post by hakerdefo »

Your problem could be related to systemd and logind if you have systemd. I'm neither a fan nor expert of systemd. All that I can suggest at this stage is make sure you have 'libpam-systemd' package installed. If it is not installed then install it,

apt-get install libpam-systemd
Reboot the machine and hope for the best :wink:
Cheers!!!

llivv

#11 Post by llivv »

grephead wrote:;)

I've installed a (not-so-) old debian testing on the notebook (the pc that couldn't use wireless due to this problem) and now it works, even if some packages are problematic (for example, I can't install vlc due to broken dependencies).
Before trying an old one, I've downloaded the most recent debian testing and...surprise!!! It gave me an error while installing the fuse package and leaved me without a complete OS in the computer.
By the way, I don't want to reinstall debian on my desktop so...if anyone has an idea let's hear it! :D
wait for the fixes to migrate
it's testing
and it looks like you lucked out.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

obry

#12 Post by obry »

hakerdefo: systemd (together with libpam-systemd) was installed automatically here. Thanks for the tip, anyway - was worth a try.
it's testing
and it looks like you lucked out.
I don't even know which package is causing the problem. I could try to install a different version from sid or stable if I did..
I hope the "expected half life of problems like these" in testing is not significantly larger than the ~4weeks that have passed already :?

Anyway. It won't kill me, but it's annoying.
I wonder why not more people experience this problem.

I hope for the best :)

Regards,
Martin

dasein

#13 Post by dasein »

obry wrote:I hope the "expected half life of problems like these" in testing is not significantly larger than the ~4weeks that have passed already :?
You certainly can't count on that. It's totally unpredictable.

If you truly care about the mechanics of the migration/vetting process, you should consult the Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

grephead

#14 Post by grephead »

Hello everybody!

Sorry for my absence.
By the way, I don't have this problem anymore. I don't know exactly how I resolved this, I've done some apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and I've also installed gnome-settings-daemon .
Now everything works fine :)

Thanks for the help!

obry

#15 Post by obry »

glad to hear so, grephead.

situation unchanged for me however :?

obry

#16 Post by obry »

Finally I found a way to fix this:
I am a fluxbox user and start my session after login with
$ startx
What solved the problem was adding

exec startfluxbox
before

. /etc/X11/Xsession
in ~/.xinitrc

I also gave read and write permission for /media/* to my user. But that alone did not help.

OK. Happy for now :mrgreen:

Guinns

#17 Post by Guinns »

Hello all,

I've had the same issue with USB keys.

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdd1 --no-user-interaction
Error mounting /dev/sdd1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.NotAuthorizedCanObtain: Not authorized to perform operation
I solved my problem wy modifying polkit configuration.

I created this new file :

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/55-storage.pkla
With this content :

[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:plugdev
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-other-seat
ResultAny=yes
This worked for me. I can now successfully mount with this cmd :

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdd1 --no-user-interaction  
Mounted /dev/sdd1 at /media/guinns/PKBACK

josk

#18 Post by josk »

I just installed Debian Jessie KDE edition iso and I got problem to save the files in the stick. Then I checked the sticks permission and it was root:root. So I finally fixed it by commenting following lines on fstab-file:

#/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
#/dev/sdf1 /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

Now it works just great at least in KDE.

Job

#19 Post by Job »

Since the introduction of systemd I've only have issues with automount drives. I stopped fighting and went back to manual mount. Hoping the storm passes really quick.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD