freshplayerplugin: use Pepperflash in other browsers

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: freshplayerplugin: use Pepperflash in other browsers

Postby dasein » 2014-06-03 23:52

mor wrote:Just for the record, "bad" simply referred to them being both non-free software. ;)

Then here's some good news: MIT License (package name notwithstanding) :cool:

I don't actually care anywhere nearly enough to track details, but I seem to recall some folks opining that standalone distribution of pepperflash player itself might be do-able via contrib. OTOH, since chromium can make it to main, it may turn out that the pepperflash player could make its way there, too.
dasein

Postby Bulkley » 2014-06-04 00:47

dasein wrote:I don't actually care anywhere nearly enough to track details, but I seem to recall some folks opining that standalone distribution of pepperflash player itself might be do-able via contrib. OTOH, since chromium can make it to main, it may turn out that the pepperflash player could make its way there, too.

Are you referring to pepperflashplugin-nonfree in the Sid repository?
Bulkley

Postby dasein » 2014-06-04 01:08

Bulkley wrote:Are you referring to pepperflashplugin-nonfree in the Sid repository?

I'm not referring to anything specifically. I have a dim and distant recollection of reading a discussion regarding the hypothetical distribution of the pepperflash player separate from Chrome. As best I can recall (which isn't saying much), someone in that discussion suggested that the player would have to be in contrib, because at the time, it wasn't part of Chromium, and so the only way to get the player was to extract it from Chrome. That may or not still be true. (And for that matter, it may never have been true. I may be misremembering, or the original assertion may have been incorrect. Like I said, it's just not something I care about enough to actively pay attention to.)

However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.
dasein

Postby mor » 2014-06-04 07:34

dasein wrote:However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.

The point is that being a wrapper it doesn't save us from ending up with a non-free piece of software, and that is what my comment above was all about.
When I install flashplugin-nonfree I feel bad because I'm using the Adobe non-free thingy. My understanding is that this new freshplayer would have the same issue.
But at least it should be better and more up-to-date, that's gonna be good (hopefully I'll get around making it work and giving it a proper test).
mor

Postby dasein » 2014-06-04 11:01

mor wrote:
dasein wrote:However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.

The point is that being a wrapper it doesn't save us from ending up with a non-free piece of software...

I'm not 100% sure that that's true, although it may be. (To be emphatically and abundantly clear: I'm not making a declarative statement to be QFT. I'm expressing uncertainty.)

mor wrote:My understanding is that this new freshplayer would have the same issue.

If I'm remembering correctly, and if the player is now or ever becomes part of the Chromium code base, that might not be the case. That was the point I was trying to raise.

But given my level of ignorance and of disinterest, along with the speculative nature of my musings, I probably should have kept quiet.

Sorry.
dasein

Postby mor » 2014-06-04 12:10

Oh well, I'm not certain either so I'll look it up (when I'll feel inspired to do so :P ).
mor

Postby emariz » 2015-01-02 22:00

stevepusser, thank you for maintaining the latest Pepper Flash "wrapper" as a Debian package.
After installing pepperflashplugin-nonfree, I grabbed freshplayerplugin from the MEPIS repositories (1), and Flash version 16.0.0.235 works without issues in Iceweasel 34.0-1.

1. http://main.mepis-deb.org/M12TestPackages.html

For those installing freshplayerplugin manually, note that it is affected by a 15-year-old bug in Dpkg (2), where broken dependencies are not listed when simulating the installation. On this system, libconfig9, libevent-2.0-5, libevent-core-2.0-5 and libevent-pthreads-2.0-5 were missing.

2. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=55364
emariz

Postby stevepusser » 2015-01-03 00:22

emariz wrote:stevepusser, thank you for maintaining the latest Pepper Flash "wrapper" as a Debian package.
After installing pepperflashplugin-nonfree, I grabbed freshplayerplugin from the MEPIS repositories (1), and Flash version 16.0.0.235 works without issues in Iceweasel 34.0-1.

1. http://main.mepis-deb.org/M12TestPackages.html

For those installing freshplayerplugin manually, note that it is affected by a 15-year-old bug in Dpkg (2), where broken dependencies are not listed when simulating the installation. On this system, libconfig9, libevent-2.0-5, libevent-core-2.0-5 and libevent-pthreads-2.0-5 were missing.

2. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=55364

Thanks for the feedback! If you install gdebi and use that to install .deb packages, that will get missing dependencies automatically before installing the .deb.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia