Can't Log in Anymore (XFCE)

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Can't Log in Anymore (XFCE)

Postby morshu9001 » 2014-06-01 18:41

I'm running Debian on an i386 computer. Everything was working fine until I tried to install GQRX (package gqrx-sdr), which required me to add "deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main" to my sources.list file. When I did "apt-get install gqrx-sdr", it gave me errors about dependencies not being installed, so I did "apt-get update & apt-get upgrade", which updated a bunch of stuff. Then I was finally able to install gqrx-sdr, which gave me a segmentation fault when I tried to run it afterwards :cry:

Anyway, I rebooted the computer, and now the login screen is broken. Everything appears to work, but when I enter my username and password, it starts to log in for a few seconds then returns back to the login screen. It doesn't say anything about an incorrect password, and I'm sure my password is correct. What am I to do? I'm mostly a newbie when it comes to Debian.
morshu9001

Re: Can't Log in Anymore (XFCE)

Postby dasein » 2014-06-01 19:24

The Wiki explicitly warns people not to do what you did, and now you know why. At this point, you basically have two choices:

1) Do a dist-upgrade outside of X and run sid (aka Debian Unstable) and live "life with perpetual updates" (and an ongoing risk of breakage).

2) Restore from backup (or if it's a fresh install, reinstall).
dasein

Postby kmathern » 2014-06-01 19:37

I'd do reinstall Wheezy.
On the new install add the wheezy-backports repo (gqrx-sdr is in the wheezy-backport repo: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/gqrx-sdr)
kmathern

Postby morshu9001 » 2014-06-01 19:44

Thanks guys, I'll reinstall and never touch "sid" again. I didn't know I could get GQRX through "wheezy-backport".
morshu9001

Return to Desktop & Multimedia