Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Resolved] WTF!!!? LuckyBackup trying to email report?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
scruffyeagle

[Resolved] WTF!!!? LuckyBackup trying to email report?

#1 Post by scruffyeagle »

I'm glad I haven't set up email on this OS yet. I just installed LuckyBackup, which I'd used on Ubuntu v10, into this Wheezy installation. I immediately put it into use. After backing up from one external drive's partition into the other's, LuckyBackup reported an error - that it wasn't able to send an email!

I see the option for email, on LuckyBackup's bar. I'm not sure why it's there. There's no explanation. There are no options in preferences, re. sending or not sending an email, what the contents might be, or who might be the receiver. BUT - LuckyBackup tried to send an email immediately after completing the cloning update of a partition! The ONLY explanation I can come up with at the moment, is that the programmers have included a data-mining utility into LuckyBackup. This is a severe security violation, re. privacy of users of this program.

At the moment, I'm still relying on my other OS for most of my computer activities. If that changes, and Wheezy becomes my primary OS, w/ email cababilities installed & set up, I'll be sure to NEVER use LuckyBackup when the computer's online. And, never go online until I've made sure there aren't any covert emails waiting to be sent by the email program when online access is available.
Last edited by scruffyeagle on 2018-10-06 05:29, edited 2 times in total.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

dasein

Re: WTF!!!? LuckyBackup trying to email report?

#2 Post by dasein »

scruffyeagle wrote:The ONLY explanation I can come up with at the moment, is that the programmers have included a data-mining utility into LuckyBackup.
Uh... no.

Next time, before you go running around warning everyone about a nonexistent conspiracy, maybe try a minute's worth of RTFM: http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/manual.html#email

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

dasein wrote:Next time, before you go running around warning everyone about a nonexistent conspiracy, maybe try a minute's worth of RTFM: http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/manual.html#email
Or give google a spin. Worked a treat here. ;)
May the FORK be with you!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

scruffyeagle wrote:BUT - LuckyBackup tried to send an email immediately after completing the cloning update of a partition! The ONLY explanation I can come up with at the moment, is that the programmers have included a data-mining utility into LuckyBackup.
:lol: It wanted to send YOU a backup report.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

scruffyeagle

#5 Post by scruffyeagle »

I've been elsewhere for a long time. Checking old posts, I found this.

Now, that's really dumb. It wanted to email me? :lol: What's the point of that, when I'm the guy who initialized the backup operation, sitting here watching the display? Never mind. The newer versions haven't had this email glitch (as far as I know).
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

milomak

#6 Post by milomak »

well it's not unusual as the backup may run when you are not watching it. so the email will tell you whether the backup completed successfully or not. if not then you know you have an issue to deal with.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

scruffyeagle wrote:Now, that's really dumb. It wanted to email me? :lol: What's the point of that, when I'm the guy who initialized the backup operation, sitting here watching the display? Never mind. The newer versions haven't had this email glitch (as far as I know).
it's still a feature, not a bug.
it makes a lot of sense, whether you have a server, or just need to leave while the backup is still running, or send the email to someone else...