Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gnome3 or xfce4

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

gnome3 or xfce4

#1 Post by 1885 »

I'm running xfce4 on my gentoo desktop due to the fact gentoo waits for packages to become stable before deploying a stable version.

I've installed debian on a lenovo laptop y50 using the amd64 dvd and I noticed the default desktop environment was gnome3.

I'll try gnome3 but I'm currious why the switch from xfce4 to gnome3? It will be a change. That's all I used for years.

Which desktop environment do ya all use?
- gnome3
- xfce4o

on the Raspberry PI? ('ve switch to xfce4 here also)
- xfce4
- lxde

Thank

Dan158

Re: gnome3 or xfce4

#2 Post by Dan158 »

Personally I absolutely Hate gnome3. It removed much of the configurability I expect from Linux, they stole a strip of screen real estate at the top that would not go away and they made us deal with multiple screen-wide mouse movements to get to pages of enlarged icons. I haven't been back since (except for those times when we get sandbagged by gnome3's default predatory take-over-the-desktop behavior when some program brings in support packages that include gnome3). In my mind Gnome3 is strangely a wana-be windows-8 which I also dislike.
(Partly they sprung gnome3 on me when I was all comfortable with gnome2, One day it was good with gnome2 ... the next I was in windows-hell land on Linux).

On the positive side I Love Openbox, Enjoy xfce4, am comfortable with Lxde, and found that Kde is even likable with the 'old style' menu adaptation.
It did force me to broaden my horizons.
I should thank the gnome Dev's for that at least.
'Help-Fascists';
Slanderers of the poor, frustrated & comp ignorant as "help-vampires"
who seek to ostracize the victim. As IRL; 'Vamps' Are increadibly rare.
Fascists though ... well, They're a dime a dozen.

sgosnell

#3 Post by sgosnell »

I abandoned Gnome for Xfce when Gnome3 hit. And I never looked back. You can get any version of Debian with Xfce.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

naednaem

#4 Post by naednaem »

xfce seems to be a bit behind schedule according to their roadmap https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.12/roadmap

I am not sure that a gtk desktop environment with limited resources can keep up in this day and age.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

1885 wrote:I'll try gnome3 but I'm currious why the switch from xfce4 to gnome3?
Debian has always used Gnome as it's flagship but never made it mandatory. The choice has always been up to the user. If you prefer Xfce, install it.

Grell

#6 Post by Grell »

I feel the same way as the other posters in regards to gnome3. It seems to be trying too hard to look like an Apple. XFCE is pretty much the same as gnome2 which is why I like it.

ice.shark

#7 Post by ice.shark »

Nobody has mentioned MATE and cinnamon which are similar to Gnome2. MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 and continues from where it left off.

robert3242

#8 Post by robert3242 »

I didn't care for Gnome3 either, and finally opted for Xfce4 in Wheezy. I'll admit that I didn't much care for Xfce at first, but I found that just a little research on my part has allowed me to make Xfce do everything I need it to do. I've also found it to be rock-solid stable, one reason so many people (and entities) run Debian in the first place.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8

#9 Post by 1885 »

I looked at this guide:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xfce

I'm thing about removing gnome3 then installing xfce4 then add the gnome packages if i need them for specific apps

naednaem

#10 Post by naednaem »

1885 wrote: then installing xfce4 then add the gnome packages
welcome to theme/style hell - gtk2 gtk3 xfce settings, gnome settings, etc...

yzT

#11 Post by yzT »

if you compare them as a whole, that is, either you use Gnome or XFCE and don't mix them, Gnome is a more mature project in my opinion.

Right now I'm running Gnome + Cairo, and I'm happy with that.

Grell

#12 Post by Grell »

ice.shark wrote:Nobody has mentioned MATE and cinnamon which are similar to Gnome2. MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 and continues from where it left off.
I just discovered Mate myself. I like it better than Xfce actually.

MALsPa

#13 Post by MALsPa »

1885 wrote:Which desktop environment do ya all use?
- gnome3
- xfce4
Both. I've got multiple Linux installations. On any given day, I'm using GNOME Shell, Xfce, KDE, Unity, Openbox, or Window Maker. I like them all.

mardybear

#14 Post by mardybear »

Xfce, LXDE or openbox. If you used to like gnome then try MATE but NEVER gnome3 :)
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

jongkind

#15 Post by jongkind »

mardybear wrote:Xfce, LXDE or openbox. If you used to like gnome then try MATE but NEVER gnome3 :)
Why? Will my computer stop working? Will my car break down?

Just curious.

grtz.

mardybear

#16 Post by mardybear »

Probably... :wink:
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.

yzT

#17 Post by yzT »

jongkind wrote:
mardybear wrote:Xfce, LXDE or openbox. If you used to like gnome then try MATE but NEVER gnome3 :)
Why? Will my computer stop working? Will my car break down?

Just curious.

grtz.
basically some people can't think by themselves, so if someone says Gnome Shell sucks they say the same.

mardybear

#18 Post by mardybear »

I'll try gnome3 but I'm currious why the switch from xfce4 to gnome3? It will be a change. That's all I used for years.
Which desktop environment do ya all use?
The OP appears to have happily used Xfce for years, why change if it already provides everything needed. This is an opinion thread...sorry if i stepped on your toes jongkind and yzT. Maybe a secret ballot would be better so nobody feels offended. Instead of derailing the thread, maybe you could let the OP know your desktop preference as he desires your opinion.

I tend to lean towards computer minimalism in regards to hardware and software - base install with openbox and a few light apps and i'm ready to go. The installation/use of gnome3 is, therefore, the complete opposite of my computing philosophy. Do i actually need to install gnome3 to make this decision - of course not just look at the system requirements, install size and lengthy package list. I've used Xfce in the past and enjoyed it - very configurable but reasonably lightweight. To this day i still use gnome2 on some systems and enjoy it too but even gnome2 was already getting bloated.

I've also spent dozens of hours on this forum, frequently reading posts about gnome3 users that either have inadequate hardware/lack the required graphics acceleration, break something when trying to install/remove packages or need to install extras just to restore the stripped out features they desire. The OP is obviously a long time Linux user - why would he want this if already used to a highly configurable desktop environment? Do i actually have to experience this myself to come to the conclusion that it's not a desirable computing environment for me?...of course not. It's often more beneficial to learn from the experiences of others so precious time can be spent on something more useful...don't you think?

The only politically correct answer to the original question would likely be try both and see...but don't tell us your opinion as someone may feel offended :)

julian516

#19 Post by julian516 »

When I install/reinstgall Debian on a machine with four different distributions I find it helpful to do a net-install without the desktop package, which I prefer to install later. I also do my initial install without designating a swap file because I do not want Debian to change the swap UUID, something it seems to insist on doing.

I do not prefer Gnome3 but many people do. In any event if you have not tried it and given it a two to three week trial, do that. Xfce is a bit lighter and it runs well. Since the demise of Gnome 2 Xfce has become my default desktop, as it has for many former Gnome people. Most recently I have given Mate a trial. If you really pine for the good old Gnome 2 days, Mate might be your best pick. It seems to run well on testing and at least as I remember Gnome 2 it seems to be an identical clone. So now we can have all of those Gnome 2 arguments all over again. If there is an advantage over Xfce it seems to be that the desktop is more easily configurable, at least for me.

I decided some time back that whichever DE we can install, configure and use intuitively is the best one. Assuming sufficient horsepower for the likes of KDE, they all work.