Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video playback jerky on batery

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
@mir

Video playback jerky on batery

#1 Post by @mir »

Hi,

i have been using debain for about 4 months now and i am loving it. it is very professional and prowerfull

i have one problem, when i play any kind of video 1080p, 720p, 480p or even 3pg the view will be jerky when my laptop is on battery. when it is on AC supply it works perfectly

i have installed bumblebee as i have 2 graphich card, so that on normal useage it will use intel graphic card.

i have also tried optirun command to play video but still it is jerky on battery

below is my system info

Linux debian-amir 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l
MemTotal: 8 GB
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0de3 (rev ff)

llivv

Re: Video playback jerky on batery

#2 Post by llivv »

Bumblebee is real temperamental so it's hard to mess ( add \ remove normal deb packages ) with a running system without unforeseen issues popping up.

Which player or browser are you talking about?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

@mir

#3 Post by @mir »

I am talking about player, i use mplayer, smplayer and vlc all do the same

only when my laptop is on battery

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It sounds like the power management system may be dropping the maximum speed of your CPU when it's on battery, since the CPU should be able to handle HD video. See if you can find a CPU speed dohicky to drop in your taskbar, use gkrellm to see what your CPU usage is on AC/battery, or use cpufreq-info on the command line. I use mostly use KDE, so this one works on the KDE taskbar: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=101147

Most desktops have something similar.

Since you also have multiple cores, try a player engine that takes advantage of them for h.264 video. Set SMPlayer to use multiple threads in the performance options, or replace mplayer with mplayer2, which should do that automatically. XBMC also should handle that automatically, and I think mpv does also. There's some overhead,so decoding speed does not jump 100% with every core added, but it greatly helps with HD video.

Using va-api or vdpau hardware acceleration with the Nvidia card should also provide far less CPU usage than the Intel graphics, but since I don't have one of those, I'm not too sure how to manage that with those cards. I also hear that va-api works with the Intel graphics, but provides just a bit of performance increase.
MX Linux packager and developer

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

If steves suggestions above have not helped you get rid to the video issues yet

I recommend installing av-tools and see if avplay gives the same results as you're seeing with mplayer and vlc.
from the commandline

$ avplay yourvideo.mpg

avplay will play almost any video file type
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.