Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with DVD encoding/playback on DVD player

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
VulcanRidr

Problems with DVD encoding/playback on DVD player

#1 Post by VulcanRidr »

I'm havng two separate but related problems with DVD creation and playback on a player machine, and could use advice on where I am going wrong.

First problem: I started creating a DVD for a friend of mine, and found the application DVDstyler, in which I was able to create some beautiful menus, with related background images, thumbnails of each track, and so forth. Built this all out, and everything looked great. However, when I tried to burn or create an iso, I got pages and pages of the following error:

Code: Select all

[ac3 @ 0x3204c00] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 2 >= 2
These errors would either eventually kill the process, or the machine would lock. I have tried this both on my laptop and my desktop, both running sid.

Second problem: Now I was eventually able to generate an iso file from a pc-bsd machine at work. However, when I burn the iso and try it in my DVD player, it will only play a random amount of a video, then it will stop and kick me back to the menu. It seems to play a different amount of the videos each time, and a different amount of each video. I have tried using DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, varying the burn speed from 1x to automatic (which in this case burned at 8x), and all have had the same problems.

Anyone have any ideas how to get a good DVD or if it might just be my old, crappy Emerson DVD player that is the problem?

Thanks,
--vr

cra1g321

Re: Problems with DVD encoding/playback on DVD player

#2 Post by cra1g321 »

Been a year or so since i've burned a movie/video to dvd on linux, last time i just used devede,

but i think it only has very basic menu options.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

How did you install DVD Styler, since it's not in any Debian repository?

I managed to port version 2.7.2 to a Wheezy base using the wxgtk-3.0 libs in wheezy-backports, but it seems to take extremely long to forever to create an iso, compared to version 2.6.X
MX Linux packager and developer

VulcanRidr

#4 Post by VulcanRidr »

stevepusser wrote:How did you install DVD Styler, since it's not in any Debian repository?
Actually, it is...In the http://deb-multimedia.org/dists/unstabl ... ary-amd64/ repo:

dvdstyler (1:2.7.2-dmo3) - amd64 - Unstable/Sid
I managed to port version 2.7.2 to a Wheezy base using the wxgtk-3.0 libs in wheezy-backports, but it seems to take extremely long to forever to create an iso, compared to version 2.6.X
This is the version I am running...

Also, please note that I have both libavcodec55:amd64 (10:2.3.3-dmo3) and libavcodec56:amd64 (6:11~beta1-2) installed, and I initially tried after manually symlinking /usr/bin/avconv -> /usr/bin/ffmpeg (which is exactly what the libav-tools does). Could there be an interaction with libavcodec56?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

VulcanRidr wrote:
stevepusser wrote:How did you install DVD Styler, since it's not in any Debian repository?
Actually, it is...In the http://deb-multimedia.org/dists/unstabl ... ary-amd64/ repo:

dvdstyler (1:2.7.2-dmo3) - amd64 - Unstable/Sid
This is the version I am running...

Also, please note that I have both libavcodec55:amd64 (10:2.3.3-dmo3) and libavcodec56:amd64 (6:11~beta1-2) installed, and I initially tried after manually symlinking /usr/bin/avconv -> /usr/bin/ffmpeg (which is exactly what the libav-tools does). Could there be an interaction with libavcodec56?
Debian would argue about deb-multimedia being a Debian repository--for example, why do you think they asked him to change it from debian-multimedia.

It looks like libavcodec55 from dmo is compiled from the "real" ffmpeg, while libavcodec56 is Debian and compiled from the libav fork. I would say the dvdstyler is going to be using the libavcodec55..they should coexist, i believe, so maybe the problems are more with the 2.7 series of DVD styler.

VulcanRidr

#6 Post by VulcanRidr »

stevepusser wrote:Debian would argue about deb-multimedia being a Debian repository--for example, why do you think they asked him to change it from debian-multimedia.
Interesting. I didn't know any of that particular backstory. Last I remember, Christian was a DD, and thee multimedia repo was stuff that he built (like codecs and multimedia tools) that had dependencies that would not play nicely with the DFSG, so it was treated like a one-off repo that was not officially a part of Debian. At least that's the way it was explained to me years ago when I was involved with the project.
It looks like libavcodec55 from dmo is compiled from the "real" ffmpeg, while libavcodec56 is Debian and compiled from the libav fork. I would say the dvdstyler is going to be using the libavcodec55..they should coexist, i believe, so maybe the problems are more with the 2.7 series of DVD styler.
Maybe I should try an older version...

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I have the 2.6 version working well in the Wheezy-based MEPIS 12 and MX 14, but it needed a customized rebuild of libwxgtk2.8, adding the media library in my packages. The libwxgtk3.0 in Jessie and wheezy-backports has that media library enabled already, but I don't know if the 2.6 series builds against it.