Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDM not working at all.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
E-Buzzen

KDM not working at all.

#1 Post by E-Buzzen »

Running Sarge 2.6.8-2-smp. I am trying to change my default display manager from GDM to KDM.

I do like this: apt-get install kdm, no problems at all. Dpkg-reconfigure kdm and chose KDM as the default display manager. Then i run sysvconfig to make sure KDM starts up.

Reboot, all is fine, the KDM starts and i can type in my login and password. After that the screen turns black for a few seconds and then......i am bounced back to the login screen again. Same if i try to login as root. Worth mentioning is that GDM works perfect. What can be i missing here?

jobezone

Re: KDM not working at all.

#2 Post by jobezone »

E-Buzzen wrote:Running Sarge 2.6.8-2-smp. I am trying to change my default display manager from GDM to KDM.

I do like this: apt-get install kdm, no problems at all. Dpkg-reconfigure kdm and chose KDM as the default display manager. Then i run sysvconfig to make sure KDM starts up.

Reboot, all is fine, the KDM starts and i can type in my login and password. After that the screen turns black for a few seconds and then......i am bounced back to the login screen again. Same if i try to login as root. Worth mentioning is that GDM works perfect. What can be i missing here?
Check out the logs in /var/log/kdm/, they will show you helpfull kdm errors. You can also past them here.

drdebian

Re: KDM not working at all.

#3 Post by drdebian »

E-Buzzen wrote:Reboot, all is fine, the KDM starts and i can type in my login and password. After that the screen turns black for a few seconds and then......i am bounced back to the login screen again. Same if i try to login as root. Worth mentioning is that GDM works perfect. What can be i missing here?
What happens if you stop KDM, log in on the CLI as the user with which KDM dies after login and type startx?