Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple programs using sound card

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
drogatoo

Multiple programs using sound card

#1 Post by drogatoo »

Hy!
I'm kind of a noob in using linux and i have a problem(i think) with my sound.I use Debian Sarge.
When multiple programs use my sound card only the first one is using it.For example if i listen to music using Rythmbox and i try to open a movie (without stopping or closeing Rythmbox) I hear no sound from the movie.Or when I listen to music using the same program and i receive messages through gaim i hear no sound alerting me that i received a new message.The funny/annoyng part is when i listen to music use yahoo messenger and between the songs I hear the sound of ALL the messages that where sent during that song.
I've tried listening music with winamp(using wine),but it's the same thing.
What can i do to fix this?Can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!

dawgie

Re: Multiple programs using sound card

#2 Post by dawgie »

drogatoo wrote:Hy!
When multiple programs use my sound card only the first one is using it.For example if i listen to music using Rythmbox and i try to open a movie (without stopping or closeing Rythmbox)!
You need to enable a sound server.
In Gnome you would click on:
Applications-->Desktop Prefrences-->Sound
And then check "enable sound server"

Gnome uses esd sound server, but Kde uses arts sound server so if you are using Kde, you need to do something similar.

Either one is not activated until you logout and back in again.

-Bob

drogatoo

#3 Post by drogatoo »

I've enabled the sound server but it's worse than before.It keeps making annoyng sounds from the start of my desktop(Gnome) and if I try playing something it doesn't.What else can I do?

drdebian

#4 Post by drdebian »

Well, the first thing I'd do would be to check which kind of sound driver architecture I'm dealing with. I recommend ALSA, which has superceded the aging OSS architecture.

So, make sure you've got the relevant ALSA binary packages installed and that you're driving your soundcard using ALSA kernel modules.

drogatoo

#5 Post by drogatoo »

I did it.I've instaled the alsa driver and it now works.Thanks!!!

Scorpaen

#6 Post by Scorpaen »

i installed alsa.
all modules appear to be working ok.
alsaconf found my card and said i'm ready to go.
my stereo is unmuted and plugged in and setup exactly as it was working with OSS, but i have no sound with alsa!
any ideas??

jobezone

#7 Post by jobezone »

You may need to increase the sound levels using alsamixer
Scorpaen wrote:i installed alsa.
all modules appear to be working ok.
alsaconf found my card and said i'm ready to go.
my stereo is unmuted and plugged in and setup exactly as it was working with OSS, but i have no sound with alsa!
any ideas??
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Scorpaen

#8 Post by Scorpaen »

i played with kmix for a while and finally got sound.
yay!

thanks!

Scorpaen