Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

File Extensions - 2 Chan Loaded HDs - Deb7 & W-8

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
socrattt

File Extensions - 2 Chan Loaded HDs - Deb7 & W-8

#1 Post by socrattt »

I purchased a new PC that cames with W-8 on a 1TB HD. (It was on sale)
My current setup on my Old PC has Deb7 partitioned on a 160 MB HDD ( Master), and a legacy W-XP chainloaded
to its legacy 80 GB HDD (Slave). XP is configured to be off line.

Aside from the novelty value of having W-8's Programs to play with, the primary use will be as Backup and Storage
medium for my Linux Documents & Settings... and like that.

I set up the same arrangement 5-6 years ago. I made notes. I forgot where they are. What I do remember
is that I was advised to go into the Windows Command Module and do something about File Extensions. (ext3/4?) I wish I
could be more informative, but it seems to me this was to enable Linux and Windows Documents to be moved back
and forth, or accessed/read from either boot from using the “Places menus. E.g., the 1TB File System or the 160GB Files System.
I do remember that I had problems until I instituted the 'fix'.

If this isn't too vague to call for some advice, can someone clue me in so I don't make a mess when I install my Deb 7 HD
in the new unit as Master?
"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher... and that is a good thing for any man." -- Socrates

socrattt

Re: File Extensions - 2 Chan Loaded HDs - Deb7 & W-8

#2 Post by socrattt »

debianxfce wrote:"the primary use will be as Backup and Storage
medium for my Linux Documents & Settings... and like that. "

If so, linux graphical file managers can mount windows partition easilly. Otherway you need some ext4 driver in win8 that exists for win7 but ubuntuforum does not know know if it works in 8.
Thanks. It sounds like you've sussed the issue and helped to clarify it. Perhaps someone else would know what command I'll need to enter in the W-8 Command module to 'fetch' the right driver. It was a simple excercise when I did it before.

rod
"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher... and that is a good thing for any man." -- Socrates

socrattt

Re: File Extensions - 2 Chan Loaded HDs - Deb7 & W-8

#3 Post by socrattt »

Follow Up ...

I downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

"Ext2Fsd is an open source Linux ext2/ext3 file system driver for Windows systems (2K/XP/VISTA/WIN7/WIN8, X86/AMD64)"
from SourceForge and extracted to Desktop. Now what? There isn't a 'Read Me' file; instructions on what to do with the file.

I just want to be prepared when I connect my new PC after having swapped the legacy W-8 HDD to the 'Slave' slot and inserted
my Deb7 HDD in the 'Master' slot. (If that makes sense ... I don't know if arranging them with Deb 7 where W-8 is now is necessary)

by edit:
The SourceForge application does not work on Windows 8.1. I found what does work at:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ex ... nload.html

rod