Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

icons on desktop for all users

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
almaalen

icons on desktop for all users

#1 Post by almaalen »

Hello,

Sorry, I don't speak and write English very well.

I use debian wheezy for my firm's computers and I would like that all users have icons automatically on their desktop. But with Gnome3, it's impossible.
I have ever used gnome tweak tools and advanced settings but changes are only for one user.
I have tried to change value of org.gnome.desktop. background show-desktop-icons with gsettings in a terminal. Value is changing but user doesn't have icons on their desktop.

Do you understand my problem ? :wink: Can you help me, please ?

stevepusser

Re: icons on desktop for all users

#2 Post by stevepusser »

As far as I know, the settings for standard users come from /etc/skel on the installation media. So you would have to remaster the install with the settings you wish in there. If you are doing netinstalls, that's not going to happen.
MX Linux packager and developer

almaalen

#3 Post by almaalen »

Sorry, I don't understand what are netinstalls.

Which folder must I put in /etc/skel ?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

First thing that comes up with a search for "debian netinstall": https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Though I don't know how you are installing on all your different machines, since there are so many methods. Letting us know would help!

I'm just familiar with helping with anticapitalista's ( a member here) build of the Debian derivative and AntiX version, MX 14, where that etc/skel applies. That Live disk does not require a Net connection during the install for any additional software.
MX Linux packager and developer

szupek

#5 Post by szupek »

Put a test file in the /etc/skel folder and enable desktop icons w/ apt-get install gnome-icon-themes

if this works you may need to create a .sh script that runs on the computer. You should lookup scripting in debian https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... 03.en.html

First get it to work with command lines and then create a script to push down to computers. when you write the script make sure there is a way to check if you've already run it before. best of luck

szupek

#6 Post by szupek »

stop searching for netinstalls, it is a way of installing Debian from the internet instead of media. it has nothing to do with this scenario