Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Command line to GUI

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
PopsTX

Command line to GUI

#1 Post by PopsTX »

Just finished a brand spankin' new install of Debian on my newly resurrected (again) linux box. Moving to Debian from Mandrake.

I use this "box" as a test-bed intrAnet server mainly, and my barebones install was thwarted by a wife and a 10 year-old who decided this was "Their" machine. KDE was installed as an Afterthought.

The problem: I set the thing up to use a command line log-in but, after installing KDE I cannot get a "graphical boot" or "graphical login" screen.

I've checked/tried the KDE Control Center to no avail.

I've updated the Nvidia drivers and all it's components... UGH. Everything is working (or seems to be) with the exception of the log-in/shut-down choices.

How do I remedy this problem? I know the answer probably quite simple but I've seen nothing here that eludes to a solution.
Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

drdebian

Re: Command line to GUI

#2 Post by drdebian »

PopsTX wrote:Just finished a brand spankin' new install of Debian on my newly resurrected (again) linux box. Moving to Debian from Mandrake.

I use this "box" as a test-bed intrAnet server mainly, and my barebones install was thwarted by a wife and a 10 year-old who decided this was "Their" machine. KDE was installed as an Afterthought.

The problem: I set the thing up to use a command line log-in but, after installing KDE I cannot get a "graphical boot" or "graphical login" screen.

I've checked/tried the KDE Control Center to no avail.

I've updated the Nvidia drivers and all it's components... UGH. Everything is working (or seems to be) with the exception of the log-in/shut-down choices.

How do I remedy this problem? I know the answer probably quite simple but I've seen nothing here that eludes to a solution.

Have you tried

Code: Select all

apt-get install kdm
yet?

PopsTX

Boot to KDE

#3 Post by PopsTX »

"KDE was installed as an Afterthought..." "after installing KDE I cannot get a "... graphical boot" or "graphical login" screen." "Everything is working (or seems to be) with the exception of the log-in/shut-down choices."
I Should be able to boot directly to KDE and log-in but cannot.

As it is, a command line login is needed then "startx" then the Debian Linux world is near perfect.

drdebian

Re: Boot to KDE

#4 Post by drdebian »

PopsTX wrote:
"KDE was installed as an Afterthought..." "after installing KDE I cannot get a "... graphical boot" or "graphical login" screen." "Everything is working (or seems to be) with the exception of the log-in/shut-down choices."
I Should be able to boot directly to KDE and log-in but cannot.

As it is, a command line login is needed then "startx" then the Debian Linux world is near perfect.
You didn't reply to me directly, so let me rephrase my hint: Do you have the KDE Desktop Manager (also known as kdm) installed? This is the piece of software that gives you the desired logon-screen.

PopsTX

Can you see my red face?

#5 Post by PopsTX »

Installed KDM via package manger.... OOOOOPS!

That install hosed the ENTIRE system: Can't log in at ALL!

I'll just re-install the complete OS from scratch: I reckon that'll be MUCH faster than trying to Fix a problem.

I truly appreciate the help DrDebian

:oops: :oops:

drdebian

Re: Can you see my red face?

#6 Post by drdebian »

PopsTX wrote:Installed KDM via package manger.... OOOOOPS!

That install hosed the ENTIRE system: Can't log in at ALL!

I'll just re-install the complete OS from scratch: I reckon that'll be MUCH faster than trying to Fix a problem.

I truly appreciate the help DrDebian

:oops: :oops:
Oh dear... Good luck with reinstalling your system!

PopsTX

Just A Quick Follow-up

#7 Post by PopsTX »

All is well in Tuxley's world... The grandkids have their JUKbox and Penquin racer, Grammy has... Whatever Grammy wants and Pops has his test-servers.

The beat-up ol' HP isn't a screamin' machine but it's holding it's own quite nicely!

As I said earlier, sometimes it's faster and easier just to start from the beginning instead of puttin' Humpty Dumpty back together. Disk space is cheap.

Thanks again for the help