Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Corrupt file error for Libravox.org download

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ILC77

[Solved]Corrupt file error for Libravox.org download

#1 Post by ILC77 »

I am running Wheezy in KDE on two different computers and I am not able to listen to audio books from libravox.org. When I click on the link to play it Iceweasel gives me the following error:

Code: Select all

video can't be played because the file is corrupt
I know the link is okay because I can listen to it on my other computer which is running Gentooupdated and Windows 7 with Firefox. I have the lastest adobe flash running.

Any idea what is wrong?
Last edited by ILC77 on 2015-02-03 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

bigrigdriver

Re: Corrupt file error for Libravox.org download

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

You may need to install the Librivox Reader from Mozilla: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ox-reader/
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Iceweasel (what version are you running?) can use gstreamer for internal mp3 file playback, so you need to have the correct gstreamer plugin package, which would appear to be the "bad" set of plugins: libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
MX Linux packager and developer

ILC77

#4 Post by ILC77 »

stevepusser wrote:Iceweasel (what version are you running?) can use gstreamer for internal mp3 file playback, so you need to have the correct gstreamer plugin package, which would appear to be the "bad" set of plugins: libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
I am using the 31.3.0 version of Iceweasel. I checked and I have gstreamer installed.

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0 is already the newest version.
libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0 set to manually installed.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libsystemd-daemon0 libwebrtc-audio-processing-0 rtkit
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.

ILC77

#5 Post by ILC77 »

I am still trying to figure out why I can't get librivox books to play in Iceweasel. It works just fine in Chrome and Konqurer, so why not Iceweasel? I even downloaded and ran the newest version of Firefox on my computer but that will not work. It must be some setting for Firefox/Iceweasel that I don't have set right. Any ideas what is wrong?

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I know it's not much help to you, but the libravox site plays audio just fine on my GNOME sid system under Iceweasel (no plugins apart from adblock plus & noscript, which needs to de disabled).

I have the following libgstreamer packages installed:

libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
libgstreamer-vaapi1.0-0
libgstreamer0.10-0
libgstreamer1.0-0
deadbang

ILC77

#7 Post by ILC77 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I know it's not much help to you, but the libravox site plays audio just fine on my GNOME sid system under Iceweasel (no plugins apart from adblock plus & noscript, which needs to de disabled).

I have the following libgstreamer packages installed:

libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
libgstreamer-vaapi1.0-0
libgstreamer0.10-0
libgstreamer1.0-0

Thanks for you help. I checked the list you have installed compared to what I have, and found that I did not have libgstreamer0.10-0 installed so I installed it. Other than libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0 and libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0, the other packages were not found in my repositories. I only have Wheezy stable and multimedia set in sources.list. Is there somewhere else that I can get those packages?

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

They are in the wheezy-backports repository (apart from the vaapi package -- this is for hardware-accelerated video playback AFAIK); add it to your sources.list, run `apt-get update` and install away.
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
deadbang

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

A workaround would to simply download the mp3 file and play it in a media player. Those can offer the option to slightly speed up the playback without altering pitch, which some find saves time and helps comprehension.

ILC77

#10 Post by ILC77 »

stevepusser wrote:A workaround would to simply download the mp3 file and play it in a media player. Those can offer the option to slightly speed up the playback without altering pitch, which some find saves time and helps comprehension.
Yes, that is a good workaround, we have been doing that. I also installed Google Chrome which works just fine with Librivox. So, while there are other solutions to this, I am just annoied that it won't work in Iceweasel and I would like to figure out why it doesn't. There must be some plugin problem that I just can't figure out. Why would it work in Firefox in Gentoo and not Iceweasel in Debian? What are the differences between the two that would cause this problem? These are the questions that I am trying to figure out and I have not solved it yet.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

I think you may want the gstreamer0.10 set of plugins, which are in the stock Wheezy repo, instead of the newer 1.0 set from backports. I think you can have both versions installed at the same time. Just replace the "1.0" with "0.10" in the package name to get the matching plugin.

ILC77

#12 Post by ILC77 »

stevepusser wrote:I think you may want the gstreamer0.10 set of plugins, which are in the stock Wheezy repo, instead of the newer 1.0 set from backports. I think you can have both versions installed at the same time. Just replace the "1.0" with "0.10" in the package name to get the matching plugin.
Well, that was the solution. Thanks for your help!

stevepusser

Re: [Solved]Corrupt file error for Libravox.org download

#13 Post by stevepusser »