Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

xfce4 4.12 is released

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fayad

Re: xfce4 4.12 is released

#31 Post by fayad »

g1annos wrote:I've better have to wait for a few days as you said. There is a GPG error occuring for me.

Code: Select all

W: GPG error: http://main.mepis-deb.org xfce-4.10 Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 81E77EAF14E225A0
Where is gonna be announced if the new repository is up?
Thank's anyway!
Hi g1annos. You can always add the key manually if you trust the server. Read this https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

g1annos wrote:I've better have to wait for a few days as you said. There is a GPG error occuring for me.

W: GPG error: http://main.mepis-deb.org xfce-4.10 Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 81E77EAF14E225A0
Where is gonna be announced if the new repository is up?
Thank's anyway!
Also, I'm uncertain if you have the right repo, since you are getting a "4.10" in the error message.

I'll announce the new location when it goes online, it should be within a few days. We have a really nice little applet in the main MEPIS repo, maintained by kmathern, that will search the online keyservers, then automatically get and install those keys.

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ ... eckaptgpg/
MX Linux packager and developer

g1annos

#33 Post by g1annos »

Thank you all guys. Looking forward!

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

Xfce 4.12 is now in the main MEPIS community repository, see the link in my sig.

We have boatloads of other backports in there, so you'll very probably not want them all. You might try a simulated install of

apt-get install -t mepis -s xfce4=4.12.0mx140+1
and make sure you don't get any older xfce packages without the mx140 tacked onto the versioning. There are also some appearance issues that may affect you, such as QT4 programs becoming ugly as Windows 95, but there are simple tweaks for that in here:

http://mepiscommunity.org/migration

Basically, you add those two lines to the Trolltech config file in your ~/.config folder. If you want Qt4 apps running as root to look better, edit root's version of that file.

Warning--make sure you get a full upgrade of the xfce4 desktop. You will not be able to log back in if xfce-session is held back for some reason.

g1annos

#35 Post by g1annos »

Warning--make sure you get a full upgrade of the xfce4 desktop. You will not be able to log back in if xfce-session is held back for some reason.
What does it mean? Actually, I did the simulated installation and everything seemed to be alright. So, I proceeded to the upgrade and rebooted. Indeed the login manager was loaded but after that there was a grey screen (maybe the background color of my desktop) and a working cursor but nothing more. Not eve the desktop shortcuts were working. Do I miss something?

To restore I opened a terminal (Alt+Ctl+F1) and totally removed xfce and all it's components, then changed the sources.list (comment the mx and uncomment the testing xfce repo) and reinstall xfce 4.10, and everything is like before. But what's the problem to upgrade to 4.12?

stevepusser

#36 Post by stevepusser »

It was not my intention, but xfce 4.12 ended up in the main MEPIS repository, so the source URL will be

deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ mepis12cr main non-free

This was to make the upgrade as easy as possible, even automatic, for MX 14 users. The trick seems to be using "apt-get dist-upgrade", those that did "apt-get upgrade" ended up with xfce4-session being held back to the 4.10 version, and that borked xfce4.

Hang on, I'll install a vanilla Debian xfce 4.8 in a virtual machine, and try the upgrade myself. Maybe there's some little snag--it does work a treat for MX 14 users.

stevepusser

#37 Post by stevepusser »

I did get a successful upgrade on stock Debian, adding the wheezy-backports, main MX 14 repo, and the main MEPIS 12 community repo, though I'm unconvinced that the MX 14 repo was necessary. I then used Synaptic, which was set to prefer packages from "mepis",
to upgrade the xfce4 metapackage to the 4.12 version.

I still need to test the command-line version, which would be

apt-get install -t mepis xfce4
Edit: That command seems to work well, even without the main MX repo being enabled.

kmathern

#38 Post by kmathern »

Stevo,

Comparing the xfce4 related packages that get upgraded in a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' of MX-14.3, to the one's that get upgraded in your command:

apt-get install -t mepis xfce4
I'm seeing the following packages not get installed (or upgraded) with your "apt-get install ..." command.

exo-utils
libexo-1-0
libexo-common
libexo-helpers
libxfce4util-common
libxfcegui4-4
libxfconf-0-2
thunar-archive-plugin
thunar-volman
xfburn
xfce4-clipman
xfce4-notifyd
xfce4-power-manager
xfce4-power-manager-data
xfce4-screenshooter
xfce4-screenshooter-plugin
xfce4-taskmanager
xfce4-terminal
xfce4-volumed
xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
My test was with MX-14.3, I'm not sure what it looks like with a "vanilla Debian xfce 4.8" install (it looks like g1annos isn't using a vanilla xfce 4.8 install anyway)

I'm pretty sure you need the libxfcegui4-4 and libxfce4util-common installs/upgrades, some of the others maybe not, a couple of them are described as "transitional dummy" packages.
Last edited by kmathern on 2015-03-27 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

g1annos

#39 Post by g1annos »

(it looks like g1annos isn't using a vanilla xfce 4.8 install anyway)
Right, I'm using xfce 4.10 from testing repo.

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks for the info, kmathern!
g1annos wrote:
Hmmm, that could have unpredictable results. The xfce in the MEPIS repo was built upon Wheezy+wheezy-backports libraries only. There's a chance that it won't conflict with Jessie, but I won't have any guarantees.

JLloyd13

#41 Post by JLloyd13 »

stevepusser wrote:Thanks for the info, kmathern!
g1annos wrote:
Hmmm, that could have unpredictable results. The xfce in the MEPIS repo was built upon Wheezy+wheezy-backports libraries only. There's a chance that it won't conflict with Jessie, but I won't have any guarantees.
when would this be backported to Jessie? after Jessie becomes stable?

also, do you think this will ever be in the official backports or just your MEPIS ones?
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

stevepusser

#42 Post by stevepusser »

There have not ever been any upgrades of shipping desktop environments to my knowledge in backports; Mate added a new one, not upgraded an existing one. It may be beyond what backports is supposed to do.

We do plan to keep abreast of the xfce releases on both a Wheezy base and a Jessie-based MX 15; right now I'm working on putting the 4.12.1 bugfix upgrades in our test repo. I've been working on Jessie-based builds, but we don't even have a repo set up yet for that. Anti is working on AntiX 15 after devoting a lot of time and effort on MX 14.4, and he wants to get that out.

stevepusser

#43 Post by stevepusser »

I've been playing around with the Live xfce4 Debian 7.8 session. I forgot that Debian is set to treat recommended packages as Dependencies by default, so the new xfce4-session kept trying to install systemd. Once I saw that, then the only repo that needed adding to the stock Debian ones was the main MEPIS 12 community repo, and uninstalling "xfce4", then running

aptitude install -R -t mepis xfce4
and accepting the second solution did enough upgrades to allow me to log out and into a 4.12 desktop. There were a few bits left over from 4.8, but

apt-get dist-upgrade
fixed that, upgraded to all the new stuff in the main MEPIS repo; and used up just about all the RAM in the virtual machine I was running the live session in.

Checkaptgpg works great in Debian, too. It's too bad it's not in the Debian repo.

andrewufrank

#44 Post by andrewufrank »

i have tried with the line
apt-get install -t mx -s xfce4 xfce4-panel xfce4-mixer orage
and get the message
orage : Depends: xfce4-panel (< 4.11) but 4.12.0-0mx140+1 is to be installed

i work on an updated debian 8 (jessie).
i look forward to use the new 4.12! thank you for your efforts!
andrew

stevepusser

#45 Post by stevepusser »

Confusingly enough, the 4.12 packages (again, meant for wheezy, it's untested on how they would work for Jessie), will be seen as "mepis" packages, so the argument would be "-t mepis" on the command line.

Since I disabled any systemd hooks for the Wheezy version of the xfce4 powermanager, I would not recommend trying to upgrade that on Jessie. I could rebuild a Jessie version of that package with the hooks, though.

Danielsan

#46 Post by Danielsan »

Hi guys,

How long is taking the packaging of the XFCE 4 goodies? Is already passed more than a month from the last topic in this thread and the goodies are still at the older version...

Is the packaging of these goodies so complicated?

:shock:

Head_on_a_Stick

#47 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Danielsan wrote:Is the packaging of these goodies so complicated?
I think it's fair to say that the Debian developers have been a bit busy with other stuff...
deadbang

Danielsan

#48 Post by Danielsan »

Ok, you're right, but now Jessie has been released so I hope they decide to package the goodies as soon as possible.

stevepusser

#49 Post by stevepusser »

Since the "goodies" package is just a simple metapackage, it takes but a minute to update and rebuild it.

It's just a metapackage, though, so you can get by without it. That said, I did finish the Jessie compatible xfce4-4.12.1 packages and they are in this repo:

deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/ mx15 main 

or for the European mirror:

http://nl.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15 main 
along with an updated goodies metapackage, and some xfce4 packages not yet in Debian, such as xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and xfce-theme-manager.

xfce4-session and the power-manager packages were built with support for systemd, but do not require it to be installed; they just have the hooks.

Danielsan

#50 Post by Danielsan »

Awesome!

Many thanks!

However, please, where can I donwload the gpg key? :roll:

I found and applied the key but I didn't see the packages:

aptitude show -t mx15 xfce4-goodies
Pacchetto: xfce4-goodies                            
Stato: installato
Installato automaticamente: no
Versione: 4.10
Priorità: opzionale
Sezione: xfce
Responsabile: Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architettura: amd64
Sorry it is in Italian but as you can see is still 4.10... :?

EDIT

If I update entirely xfce4, works. Thanks.