Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Netflix on Debian 7.8

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Buteo

Netflix on Debian 7.8

#1 Post by Buteo »

I have read conflicting artlcles on watching Netflix with various versions of Debian 7. I cannot find any definitive way to watch Netflix on Debian 7.8.

Some places said it can be watched with HTML5, but then other places say this does not apply to 7.8 and the Wheezy people are 'out of luck'. I have read about Silverlight and Pipelight and have read also that so many hoops are not needed to jump through anymore to watch Netflix on Debian 7..8. I understand that Jessie (Debian 8 beta) will work straight away but is not ready for primetime. Then there is wine which has fans and foes.

I have Iceweasel and Chromium and a user agent switcher plug in.

At this date in time, what is the best way, easiest way to watch Netflix with Debian 7.8. Is there a way I can watch Netflix with HMTL5 using my current version?

Thanks
Buteo

stevepusser

Re: Netflix on Debian 7.8

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Is there a way I can watch Netflix with HMTL5 using my current version?

Not with the stock Debian repos. We have it working well using the MEPIS 12 community repositories using all three methods:

HTML 5 with Google Chrome plus the libc6 backport repo and the CR main and test repos.
Chrome's Widevine DRM plugin library unfortunately requires libc6 >= 2.14, and Wheezy only has 2.13. The only way to get that safely is to upgrade to Jessie, or use the MEPIS backported libc6 2.17, which is in its very own repo.

In a native Linux Mozilla-type browser using Pipelight, Silverlight, and our patched Wine.

Using netflix-desktop, which will set up a Windows Firefox in our patched Wine to use Silverlight.

MX 14 also uses the MEPIS CR, and using netflix-desktop is pretty dead simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGm6U0j_oQ

However the pipelight project now also provides Wheezy-compatible pipelight, netflix-desktop, and wine-staging packages that'll work.
MX Linux packager and developer