Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't play mp3 files with play (sox)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kaptensnus

Can't play mp3 files with play (sox)

#1 Post by kaptensnus »

I have tried to play mp3 files with sox play.

The result I get is:

play FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'

I have installed all libsox packages I could find, including libsox-fmt-mp3 and libmad0.

sox -h though, gives me:

AUDIO FILE FORMATS: 8svx aif aifc aiff aiffc al amb amr-nb amr-wb anb au avi avr awb cdda cdr cvs cvsd cvu dat dvms f32 f4 f64 f8 ffmpeg flac fssd gsm gsrt hcom htk ima ircam la lpc lpc10 lu m4a m4b maud mp4 mpg nist ogg prc raw s1 s16 s2 s24 s3 s32 s4 s8 sb sds sf sl sln smp snd sndfile sndr sndt sou sox sph sw txw u1 u16 u2 u24 u3 u32 u4 u8 ub ul uw vms voc vorbis vox wav wavpcm wmv wv wve xa
PLAYLIST FORMATS: m3u pls
AUDIO DEVICE DRIVERS: alsa ao oss ossdsp pulseaudio

(no mp3 mentioned there).

The reason I try to play mp3 files with sox is that I wanted to play a playlist with different formats and feed it to ices2 through a pipe, ie :
sox Musik/storlista.pls -t raw - | ices2 ices-pcm.xml sox
FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'

levlaz

Re: Can't play mp3 files with play (sox)

#2 Post by levlaz »

Have you tried to install the gstreamer plugins?

Code: Select all

apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
Best,

Lev
Blog

kaptensnus

#3 Post by kaptensnus »

I tried installing gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, but it turned out they were already installed.

paxmark1

#4 Post by paxmark1 »

For years one had to compile sox in debian to get mp3 playing capability. THOSE days are over. May I suggest apt-get libsox-fmt-mp3

I tried play blah.mp3 and no luck but then did the apt-get and voila, music. Possibly you are like me and have no-install-recommends

EDIT sox -h should list all of your options for audio types. I notice that the Debian sox page (unstable and Jessie) do not mention libsox-fmt-mp3 Possibly there is support via libsox-fmt-all I do thank you for posting, I have sox playing mp3's now. end edit

Sox is possibly one of the most underused suite of programs. Pity. Peaceout