Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help: Gnome extensions error

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ZacWalls

Gnome-shell-extensions

#1 Post by ZacWalls »

Hello. I curently have Gnome version 3.4 and am running Debian 7.8.0 Although, I have come across a little problem. I cannot install gnome shell extensions sadly. For some reason, when I try to manually install an extension, I get a weird compiling error. When I type

Code: Select all

make
or

install make
I get

zack@ZAC-11036173-WALLS:~/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92$ make
Making all in extensions
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions'
Making all in apps-menu
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/apps-menu'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/apps-menu'
Making all in places-menu
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/places-menu'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/places-menu'
Making all in alternate-tab
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/alternate-tab'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/alternate-tab'
Making all in launch-new-instance
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/launch-new-instance'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/launch-new-instance'
Making all in window-list
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/window-list'
Makefile:487: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions/window-list'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/Downloads/gnome-shell-extensions-3.15.92/extensions'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Any suggestions?

emariz

Re: Gnome-shell-extensions

#2 Post by emariz »

For starters, you are trying to install a set of extensions for Gnome 3.15.92 in Gnome 3.4. Even the Gnome version in Unstable (3.14.1) is older than that set.
Why do you not tell us what specific feature you are looking for?

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Extensions have already been set up for you. Go here and activate whichever you want.

ZacWalls

#4 Post by ZacWalls »

The gnome website says it does not detect a running version of gnome running on my pc. Whats up with that?

ZacWalls

#5 Post by ZacWalls »

emariz because I tried a few and always got the same result. :(

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

How did you install those few extensions? You should at least be able to install those available on the Debian archives, say the package gnome-shell-extensions.

The Gnome Extensions website requires Iceweasel to install the extensions. And you might also want to install Gnome Tweak Tool to manage them.

Because there have been five Gnome releases since Wheezy became Stable, many features may not be compatible with Gnome 3.4. Then again, you still have not cared to tell us what you want to accomplish.
Last edited by emariz on 2015-03-22 11:37, edited 2 times in total.

ZacWalls

#7 Post by ZacWalls »

emariz, I installed them manually with a tar file. Is there a way I can install one from the terminal without a zip or tar file?

ZacWalls

#8 Post by ZacWalls »

OH iceweasel! Ok let me try that.

ZacWalls

#9 Post by ZacWalls »

Typed

zack@ZAC-11036173-WALLS:~/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0$ make
Making all in extensions
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions'
Making all in alternative-status-menu
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/alternative-status-menu'
  GEN    metadata.json
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/alternative-status-menu'
Making all in apps-menu
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/apps-menu'
  GEN    metadata.json
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/apps-menu'
Making all in dock
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/dock'
Makefile:484: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions/dock'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zack/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0/extensions'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You need the "GNOME Shell Integration" plugin to use the GNOME Shell Extensions site.

I can't remember how I activated mine -- I think Iceweasel just asked me if I wanted to activate it when I visited the site for the first time.
https://extensions.gnome.org/
deadbang

ZacWalls

#11 Post by ZacWalls »

I did that but I still have the same output.

ZacWalls

Gnome shell themes

#12 Post by ZacWalls »

Hello. So I have a noobie question. It involves gnome shell themes. And I have no idea how to install them. I curently have Gnome version 3.4.2 and I have tried to install the Liberty shell. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=169321 I put the extracted tar ball in /usr/share/themes No results yet. Please, any suggestions?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Gnome shell themes

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You need to extract the tarball and copy the extracted directory over:

tar xf 169321-LibertyShell.tar.gz
# cp -r LibertyShell /usr/share/themes
Then open up the GNOME-Twek-Tool and go to "Extensions" and enable the "User Themes" extension and close the tweak tool & open it up again (I know...).

Then go to "Appearance" and select "Shell Theme" and you should have a drop down menu with the new theme in the list.

EDIT: Actually, this may not work for you as I use GNOME 3.14 (sorry!); hopefully the older version will use a similar workflow...
deadbang

ZacWalls

#14 Post by ZacWalls »

Let me see what I can do......

ZacWalls

#15 Post by ZacWalls »

Next to where it says "shell theme", there is just a yellow triangle. :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Do you have the "User Themes" extension enabled?

I've never used GNOME 3.4 so I don't know how it works in that version.

The page for that theme says:
It is a adapted default theme Gnome 3.15.91 for Gnome 3.10, Gnome 3.12 and Gnome 3.14, with a few changes.
So maybe it won't work on earlier versions.
deadbang

ZacWalls

#17 Post by ZacWalls »

Can I update my gnome version?

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ZacWalls wrote:Can I update my gnome version?
Not if you're running Debian 7.8 (Stable/wheezy)...

You could try upgrading to jessie but this may bork your system.

If you want to take the risk, edit the file at /etc/apt/sources.list and change all the instances of "wheezy" (or "stable") to "jessie" and then run these commands:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
As I say, you may need to fix some problems after this transition so you should only do this if the system is not being used for anything important and make sure all your important files are fully backed up first.
deadbang

ZacWalls

Idiotic question

#19 Post by ZacWalls »

So If you type

aptitude install gnome-shell
and then

gnome-shell --replace 
it sets up this awesome theme. How can I delete the regular gnome theme and replace it with that one?

roseway

Re: Idiotic question

#20 Post by roseway »

Eric