Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Can't change login background

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
SenorSalad

[SOLVED]Can't change login background

#1 Post by SenorSalad »

I recently installed Debian 8 with the Xfce Desktop Environment. I don't like the background in the login screen and want to change it. After some Googling I discovered that the path to the background is stored in the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf. Unfortunately, whenever I change the background field I'm left with a black background during login. (Yes, I triple checked that I spelt the path correctly). Does the login background have to meet some criteria I don't know about, like being a certain resolution?

EDIT: Here's the content of /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf:

Code: Select all

#
# background = Background file to use, either an image path or a color (e.g. #772953)
# theme-name = GTK+ theme to use
# icon-theme-name = Icon theme to use
# font-name = Font to use
# xft-antialias = Whether to antialias Xft fonts (true or false)
# xft-dpi = Resolution for Xft in dots per inch (e.g. 96)
# xft-hintstyle = What degree of hinting to use (none, slight, medium, or hintfull)
# xft-rgba = Type of subpixel antialiasing (none, rgb, bgr, vrgb or vbgr)
# show-indicators = semi-colon ";" separated list of allowed indicator modules. Built-in indicators include "~a11y", "~language", "~session", "~power". Unity indicators can be represented by short name (e.g. "sound", "power"), service file name, or absolute path
# show-clock (true or false)
# clock-format = strftime-format string, e.g. %H:%M
# keyboard = command to launch on-screen keyboard
# position = main window position: x y
# default-user-image = Image used as default user icon, path or #icon-name
# screensaver-timeout = Timeout (in seconds) until the screen blanks when the greeter is called as lockscreen
# 
[greeter]
background=/usr/share/images/custom/forest.jpg
theme-name=Adwaita
#icon-theme-name=
#font-name=
xft-antialias=true
#xft-dpi=
xft-hintstyle=hintfull
xft-rgba=rgb
show-indicators=~language;~session;~power
show-clock=true
#clock-format=
#keyboard=
#position=
#screensaver-timeout=
EDIT2: I solved this issue by making the desired background world readable.