cannot recover desktop on debian squeeze

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: cannot recover desktop on debian squeeze

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-07-29 03:03

Don't pay any attention to the trolls and stuff like this:
Sarge-in-charge » Abandon all hope. You are not running a reputable operating system like Windows XP, you are running Debian and you ARE SHORT OF LUCK.

If need be the posts will be removed.
---------------------------------------------
Any way, "stevepusser " is very good at solving these kind of things, there may be a way to
"fix" it , restore you system back to what it was,..in fact probably there is a way. This is one of
many good things about Debian, it is remarkably "repairable", if you are willing to stick with it
and follow the instructions, post the output of some commands, when asked too,as well as details,
this probably is repairable.
GarryRicketson

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 07:36

Hello everyone, thanks for your replies. I was only shouting because my thread was being hijacked. I appreciate it's annoying to get shouted at but so is having your thread hijacked...

To the point: I used nano to edit the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file but still no luck. I get the error message "usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory:". I also tried to export the display as per the original archlinux post but no luck.

I then tried to install the ldxe-core but I get the message that the following packages have unmet dependencies:
ldxe-core: Depends ldxe-common but it is not going to be installed
Depends lxpanel but it is not going to be installed
open box...
pcmanfm...
gksu
lxsession
xscreensaver...

How do I go back to find out which updates where getting installed at the time?
Alder8

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2015-07-29 08:46

Alder8 wrote:I was only shouting because my thread was being hijacked.

Jeez! It went a bit off topic. Drama queen! :P

Alder8 wrote:How do I go back to find out which updates where getting installed at the time?

Do this at a command prompt:
Code: Select all
less /var/log/apt/history.log

You can navigate with the arrow keys. It's neatly presented by date.
Go to the last entries quickly by pressing the END button.
thanatos_incarnate

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 09:09

A drama queen?! Me? :shock: Well, maybe, I say maybe, I was overracting a bit... :P

There's absolutely nothing in my /var/log/apt/history.log. I tried the command that you said and I also tried opening the file with nano editor. Nano editor says 0 lines. Same for /var/log/apt/term.log. :?: :?: :?: :?: Am I doing something wrong here?
Alder8

Postby arochester » 2015-07-29 09:23

Maybe other people can still suggest a positive way to deal with this.

... At this point I would be looking at using a LiveCD to copy my stuff off to an external hard drive, doing a new clean install of Jessie and putting my stuff back on...
arochester

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 10:43

Hi arochester,

I think you're right, there doesn't seem to be much point pressing on with a broken system... I'll try puppy linux to recover my data and do a fresh install of a light distro as this is a very old laptop due to be retired soon... Which *light* distro would you recommend for a 10-year-old computer?
Alder8

Postby arochester » 2015-07-29 10:53

Debian?

Article a bit old, but still worthy. Again, go for lxde-core instead of lxde. Build what you want... https://www.maketecheasier.com/build-li ... end-laptop

Even more basic, but it works...https://saidkhorramshahgol.wordpress.co ... tallation/
arochester

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-29 11:16

Alder8 wrote:I then tried to install the ldxe-core but I get the message that the following packages have unmet dependencies:
ldxe-core: Depends ldxe-common but it is not going to be installed
Depends lxpanel but it is not going to be installed
open box...
pcmanfm...
gksu
lxsession
xscreensaver...

Have you been adding Testing/Unstable repositories or Ubuntu PPAs to your sources.list?

Read the bottom link in my signature to get some clues as to what may have b0rked your system (in the interest of not making the same mistake again).
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 11:22

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you been adding Testing/Unstable repositories or Ubuntu PPAs to your sources.list?

Read the bottom link in my signature to get some clues as to what may have b0rked your system (in the interest of not making the same mistake again).

:oops: :oops: Yes, I have been... :oops: The only thing I can say is that the system has performed admirably stably for the entirety of the time (over three years) I've been using it and only crashed during the last round of updates. I'll read the link you suggest carefully to avoid future issues.
Alder8

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 11:23

arochester wrote:Debian?

Article a bit old, but still worthy. Again, go for lxde-core instead of lxde. Build what you want... https://www.maketecheasier.com/build-li ... end-laptop

Even more basic, but it works...https://saidkhorramshahgol.wordpress.co ... tallation/

Thanks for the suggestions, arochester!
Alder8

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-29 11:25

Alder8 wrote: :oops: :oops: Yes, I have been... :oops:

Busted!
:P

Would you mind posting your /etc/apt/sources.list as a warning for other Debian users?

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Alder8 » 2015-07-29 11:35

I'll try to but not sure how to export the file to the other computer I'm currently using...
Alder8

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-29 11:38

Alder8 wrote:not sure how to export the file to the other computer I'm currently using

Can you browse the main system drive from a live distribution and post it from there?

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2015-07-29 11:59

arochester wrote:Maybe other people can still suggest a positive way to deal with this.

Alder8 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you been adding Testing/Unstable repositories or Ubuntu PPAs to your sources.list?

:oops: :oops: Yes, I have been...

:roll: I'm out.
thanatos_incarnate

Postby golinux » 2015-07-29 12:58

Jeeseh . . . I asked to see the OP's sources list on page one and s/he didn't respond. Guess the concept that mixing repos is not-a-good-thing finally got through his/her thick skull. Better late than never . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia