Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome and Applications in /opt

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mooreted

Gnome and Applications in /opt

#1 Post by mooreted »

I am following Debian Testing with the Gnome desktop. I noticed the applications I installed such as Google Chrome, TeamViewer and Crossover Linux are all installed in /opt and Gnome does not show those applications in any of its menus. I have to manually create a .desktop file and copy it to /usr/share/applications for Gnome to pick up the application.

Is this normal? Seems like kind of a PITA.

Edit: I also notice that none of those programs work correctly in the dock. When you click them, they show another icon for the program instead of staying "resident" in the icon like native apps.

mor

Re: Gnome and Applications in /opt

#2 Post by mor »

mooreted wrote:Is this normal? Seems like kind of a PITA.
I think it is, considering those apps are not in the repositories and you installed them manually.

Either the installation script for those apps (if they have one) creates a reference in /usr/share/applications, or you have to, there's no way for your Debian system to figure out what you do outside its control. ;)

Bye

mooreted

Re: Gnome and Applications in /opt

#3 Post by mooreted »

Except that before I upgraded to Testing it was working normally.

No biggie, I'll just have to figure out the window class for those so the icons will work correctly.