Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The best desktop-agnostic analog clock widget

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stevepusser

The best desktop-agnostic analog clock widget

#1 Post by stevepusser »

Has got to be the python-based Clocky, which I'm forking and customizing as mx-clocky:

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE7wb ... sp=sharing

A user testing a previous version posted this screenshot with most, but not all, of the included skins running as separate instances. Note the minimal CPU use in Conky and the attached CPU meters:

http://imgur.com/KPhjxGo

I found a few problems and fixed them:
* Fix "Reload" causing crash.
* Fix multiple instances starting when beginning a saved desktop session.
* Filled in debian/copyright
* Added a postinst script to clean out any clocky.desktops in /etc/xdg/autostart.
* Add a symlink for mx-clocky to clocky in /usr/bin.
* Add Anticko skin.
I also noticed some quirkiness in clicking it and changing a config setting, in that I had to do that twice to get it to stick, and then reload. It also seems to work best when stick to desktop is enabled; it can still be moved around by holding down the Alt key and dragging with the mouse, like all applications.

I'd also like to have it just have a working setup out of the box, without having to install a skin manually. I think it could be done by testing for the existence of ~/.clocky, and if it doesn't exist, creating that folder and copying the contents of /usr/share/clocky/skins/MX-Linux into it. But I don't know much if anything about Python. :frown:

I see the clocky python file itself defines the config file location with this line:

Code: Select all

USR_PATH = '/'.join((os.path.expanduser('~'), '.'+EXEC))
EXEC is defined before as "clocky", so that ends up being ~/.clocky. So we just need a string of code that tests for the existence of USR_PATH, and creates it if not present, then copies the files into it.

It would also be cool to have some kind of yad or gtkdialog tool to change the skins, maybe displaying any png preview files that are in the skin folder...

It's pretty fun to copy the skins folder to your home, then play Dr. Frankenstein by mixing and matching the svg files between them. The CPU usage of clocky is so low it doesn't even register on the KDE system monitor, so it must be less than 1% on my machine...OK, htop says it's 0.5% with my laptop running at its slowest speed.

There's also supposed to be some kind of alarm function, which is why the package includes three different alarm beep wav files, but I can't figure out how to get it working. :frown:

Edit: got some help, so now it's showing "%" instead of "x" for cpu and ram use. :)
MX Linux packager and developer