Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hah! Who needs PPAs? I have my own multimedia+ repo!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stevepusser

Hah! Who needs PPAs? I have my own multimedia+ repo!

#1 Post by stevepusser »

Update 19 Jan 2018: Added armv71 and aarch64 builds for most Stretch packages.

Update 11 June 2017: The OBS has added support for Stretch builds, so I will go through and see what packages I can also upgrade to that platform--Stretch already has many of the backports in it already. I will probably change the names of many of them to remove the "bpo8" and instead use "obs" or the like, so I can build both Stretch and Jessie versions from the same source upload.

Update: 9 Dec 2018: All OBS repos seem to need a new key, as the old ones have been marked expired, so just repeat the step to download and install the Release.key file.

Warning: now that Stretch has frozen, some of the packages in this repo are going to be newer versions than Stretch has available, and may interfere with an in-place upgrade from Jessie to Stretch. The workaround is to remove the offending package (such as my mpv which is newer than Stretch's 0.23) and then reinstall the Stretch version after the upgrade. I also plan to add Stretch builds to the repository as soon as the OBS makes it available to users.

Edited to reflect current situation: I've added packages to this Jessie-backports-multimedia project that are related to multimedia in some way, or require the newer ffmpeg, such as the development GIMP. Many of the packages are not available in Debian at all, such as DVD Styler, ClipGrab, or QMPlay2.

Instructions for adding the repository:
https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ackage=mpv

Example for Stretch (run as root when instructed, sudo users can become root with "sudo su")
Buster users need to replace "_9.0" with "_10".

As root, add the repo:

Code: Select all

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevepassert/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevepassert.list
As normal user, download the repo key:

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevepassert/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key
As root, add the repo key to your keyring, and update apt. Upgrades will now be available.

apt-key add - < Release.key && rm Release.key
apt-get update
You can view the project here, and see what programs are in it currently: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... evepassert

I don't know if anyone else wants information on how to use the OBS--it's free and rather easy to set up and use in a web interface, and you can get as many free repositories as you wish.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-03-23 02:12, edited 14 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Innovate

Re: Hah! Who needs PPAs?

#2 Post by Innovate »

Thanks for provide us repo on Opensuse sometimes I've go there to stay away from launchpad.net
I use to get stuff like Lightzone.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

PPAs are very problematical on Debian; some packages from them may work, but you can never be sure.

The OBS is building the packages from the sources I upload on a straight, basic Jessie system, which mean they will work.

Hmmm--I see that though I have smtube and mpv in the same repository for Jessie, the instructions say to add a separate repo entry for each, which would mean that you would get a warning about duplicate repo entries when updating apt. I guess if you just added the mpv repo, you could also update smtube and try the Liquorix kernel, which I also threw in there to see how long it took to build.

Güy

#4 Post by Güy »

What about deb-multimedia? It seems not updated enough, but both of these are on there, although earlier versions.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

What about deb-multimedia? I don't see any SMTube there for Jessie, the mpv is rather old, and my version won't break anything.

I could expand this to a multimedia backports repo that would include the real ffmpeg from jessie-backports, then I could add the newer mplayer, mencoder, VLC, etc from upstream, and it wouldn't break anything like DMO often does.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I've added ffmpeg 2.8.6, mplayer+mencoder 1.2.1, and VLC 2.2-5, all the latest from upstream Debian, to that backports repo. The latest VLC has new patches that are supposed to fix problems with hardware acceleration and mkv files, also problems with resuming at the same spot when it's built against qt4, which my version is.

Güy

#7 Post by Güy »

About what I said, my bad, I was thinking of the testing deb-multimedia repo, not stable.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I've just added avidemux2.6-qt 2.6.12, the new SMPlayer 16.4.0, and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg to the repo. SMPlayer and the gstreamer package are also available for Wheezy users.

Güy

#9 Post by Güy »

Why not contribute to deb-multimedia backports? If that is possible, more people would be helped that way.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

A better question would be to ask why deb-multimedia continues putting out a version of ffmpeg and vlc that could break user's media systems. I think Christian may be set in his path.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Just added DeaDBeeF 0.7.2 for Jessie and Wheezy users, as well as updating VLC, mpv to 0.17, mplayer to 1.3.0, and ffmpeg to 3.0.1.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Added kodi-16.1 from upstream Debian. I had to backport a newer libcec-dev and libcrossguid0-dev to support it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Added kodi-16.1
Very nice, thank you, I didn't even realise the official backport was only version 15 :)
deadbang

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Updated VLC to 2.2.3 from Sid. It's using an internal ffmpeg 2.8.7 that the Debian maintainer added, because it's not compatible with the ffmpeg 3.x series yet.

Edit: Backported the latest 2.2.4 bugfix release from Sid.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

Still keeping it up to date. Jessie now has VLC 2.2.4, though. When I update ffmpeg, such as up to 3.1.3, everything that depends on its libav libraries automatically gets deleted and rebuilt against the new versions. mpv is now up to 0.20, DVD Styler 3.0.2, SMTube at 16.7.0, SMPlayer 16.8.0, added QWinFF 0.2.1 and the latest QMPlay2, too. Also Aqualung 1.0 in that repo will run on Jessie or Stretch.

deborah-and-ian

#16 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Thanks for all of your work. I occasionally get stuff from the MX-15 repo. Probably some of yours in there too?
stevepusser wrote:I don't know if anyone else wants information on how to use the OBS--it's free and rather easy to set up and use in a web interface, and you get as many free repositories as you wish.
Would be lovely to get a short intro into it. :)
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

deborah-and-ian wrote:Thanks for all of your work. I occasionally get stuff from the MX-15 repo. Probably some of yours in there too?
stevepusser wrote:I don't know if anyone else wants information on how to use the OBS--it's free and rather easy to set up and use in a web interface, and you get as many free repositories as you wish.
Would be lovely to get a short intro into it. :)
Probably most of the stuff in there, still. We have some more packagers now, though--one's doing the humungous Flightgear backport from Stretch right, and he also does the MX 15 Liquorix kernel backports after I have the OBS build 'em on Jessie first. :)

I'll write a guide in the How-To section here on using the OBS for Debian and Ubuntu builds. If the Debian versions don't contain any forbidden characters like "+" in their version string, you can just drop the Debian source packages directly into the OBS and see if they build--that's what I did for most of the 32 packages in the experimental MATE 1.14.1 backport I did there, to speed things up.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

I just upgraded ffmpeg to 3.1.4 in there, and that'll trigger rebuilds of everything built against it, such as mplayer, mencoder, kodi, dvdstyler, and so on. So they may not be available while the rebuilds are going on--a few hours at the latest.

The guide for doing your own builds and repositories on the OBS is also now in the HOWTO section here.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Just added pithos-1.1.2. It hasn't made it into jessie-backports.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Updated obs-studio to 0.16.2 and added simplescreenrecorder 0.3.6.

update: had to update the obs-studio build to fix a missing shared library that didn't get installed.