Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

problem with mkv/mp4 files

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sergius

problem with mkv/mp4 files

#1 Post by sergius »

afrer few updates it happened that i cant play mkv or mp4 files in movieplayer, which gives this information:

Code: Select all

Problem: An internal error occurred while analyzing this file: Could not find GStreamer caps mapping for FFmpeg codec 'h264', and you are using an external libavcodec. This is most likely due to a packaging problem and/or libavcodec having been upgraded to a version that is not compatible with this version of gstreamer-ffmpeg. Make sure your gstreamer-ffmpeg and libavcodec packages come from the same source/repository.
and it vlc it works somehow bt it cuts and freezes all the time. when i tried to install some other plyers, terminal gave this:

[  0%] Building dependency treeSegmentation fault
and synaptic i cant open at all. what should i do??

dasein

Re: problem with mkv/mp4 files

#2 Post by dasein »

sergius wrote:

This is most likely due to a packaging problem and/or libavcodec having been upgraded to a version that is not compatible with this version of gstreamer-ffmpeg. Make sure your gstreamer-ffmpeg and libavcodec packages come from the same source/repository.
The error message identifies the likely culprit. Consult any of the two-a-week threads about the dangers of 3rd-party repos.

sergius

#3 Post by sergius »

i know all this, i didnt install nothing 3rd party in purpose. is there any way out of this or i install system again?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You're not being forthcoming. You've added something from outside Debian. Deb-multimedia is from outside Debian. Even more telling is that there is no "gstreamer-ffmpeg" package in the Jessie Debian repos.

We can't help you if you won't be more forthcoming.
afrer few updates it happened
Since this is what caused it, why haven't you given any information about what these were?

If it's deb-multimedia, you should be able to fix it, but without any information...

See if you can install "inxi" on the command line and then paste the output of "inxi -r" here.
MX Linux packager and developer

sergius

#5 Post by sergius »

i cant remove or install nothing, same message as above.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

sergius wrote:i cant remove or install nothing, same message as above.
Congratulations. As the proud parent of a FrankenDebian, you get to reinstall from scratch.

You are strongly encouraged to be more careful in the future about "accidentally" enabling 3rd party repos.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

sergius wrote:i know all this, i didnt install nothing 3rd party in purpose. is there any way out of this or i install system again?
Umm, are you sure ?,... I remember you had some similar problems, some time back,
Gimp could not be installed,
Did you do a fresh install after that ?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 08#p610191

In that thread you also claimed to have "not touched anything"
didnt touch nothing really, except i didnt do updates for maybe half a year.
Then, I believe you did mention you removed some of the sources from the sources.list ones that were bad sources, like the ubuntu ppas,...just removing those, does not get rid of the mismatched programs and packages.
My thoughts are that you really do need to do a fresh install, and try to learn from the past mistakes, try to keep your system a little but "cleaner", don't install 3rd party software, ubuntu ppas, etc.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

GarryRicketson wrote: My thoughts are that you really do need to do a fresh install...
Ya think? :mrgreen:

P.S. Thanks for the pointer to the OP's posting history. He's now gotten special mention in the repo mix-and-match thread.

@OP: Read this again: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 08#p610211