Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mysteries of high dpi

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bdz

Mysteries of high dpi

#1 Post by bdz »

I recently installed Debian on a notebook with a high dpi screen (3200 x 1800). In the process of dealing with the high dpi, I encountered several things that were mysterious (see below).

I did manage to get the system into usable shape, but I'm still mystified.

While there are a some things I'd like to change, I would mostly like to understand how dpi is handled (or not handled) by the X server, desktops, apps, etc. Someone must understand this, but I certainly do not and would appreciate some help. I've spent a fair amount of time looking for documentation, etc. but haven't found much that's relevant or useful.

FYI I have a completely vanilla (re graphics) installation of yessie 8.3.0. This system does not have a xorg.conf file.

Here are a few mysteries;

(i) Desktop Variations

When I run lxde or Mate, everything on the desktop is very small, which of course is not surprising. But when I run gnome classic, all desktop elements are quite legible. Presumably gnome somehow detects and adjusts for the dpi, but how? On Mate, there is a setting in 'fonts' that increases pretty much everything on the desktop, not just fonts.

(ii) Netbeans and desktops

With lxde and Mate, Netbeans is very small, again not surprising since I've read that there are some issues about dpi and java. But with Gnome Classic, nearly everything in Netbeans is correctly sized. (The exceptions are some icons and the 'Output' window (which displays compiler errors and the output from executed programs)). How can the desktop effect Netbeans?

(iii) xorg.conf

At one point I tried adding an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf including

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        Option       "UseEdidDpi"    "false"
        DisplaySize  270 150
EndSection
This increased the size of elements in the display manager, but it had no effect on any of the desktops. How can this be?

I'd appreciate any thoughts about how dpi is handled by the various components of a graphical Debian system.

thanks