Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE state in testing version [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
floreado

KDE state in testing version [SOLVED]

#1 Post by floreado »

Hi all,

I use the stable version of Jessie.
I think about migrate to the testing but actually only KDE is suit for me
so I need to know whether a new version of this desktop is sufficiently stable or not.
I read some article in December about that and then was very bad.
Could you please say something how it is now?

Regards
Last edited by floreado on 2016-04-17 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

squeeze

Re: KDE state in testing version

#2 Post by squeeze »

floreado wrote:I think about migrate to the testing but actually only KDE is suit for me
It's certainly usable right now, but not feature complete. If i were in your position i'd wait until Plasma 5.6 hits testing.
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

floreado

Re: KDE state in testing version

#3 Post by floreado »

Hi,

Thanks for the information.
I will wait as you recommend.

Regards

kalle123

Re: KDE state in testing version [SOLVED]

#4 Post by kalle123 »

Loaded Kubuntu 16.04 and put it in a vbox. Says it uses KDE 5.5.5. First look - seems to be still in a kind of BETA state.
Hope, 5.6 will be a lot better. Reminds me, when KDE changed from 3.x.x to 4.x.x :roll: Took a long time, until KDE 4 was usable for me ....

Just my 2 cents - br KH

floreado

#5 Post by floreado »

Hi,

Thanks kalle123 for the comment, any information is helpful.
I hope it will be in a good shape until Stretch issuing becuase I don't like KDE4 and GNOME needs many improvements as regards handling.

Regards

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

I tried stretch with kde plasma and its fails more than a gun fair ("spanish expression??" :D ), i lost a whole day trying to move to kde 5,,

I couldnt install testing cos a problem with my wifi, so i installed mate jessie cd, upgraded to stretch an then installed kde 5. It fails everywhere.. very unstable you not even think about it.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

kalle123

#7 Post by kalle123 »

Makes me think of changing to Xfce.

Besides my host (Jessie 64 KDE) I hold a Jessie 64 KDE in a vbox guest and that goes well.
But that Kubuntu thing was slow and not very well usable.
And I am not willing to buy new hardware only for those KDE 5 gimmicks

floreado

#8 Post by floreado »

Hi everybody,

I want to go back to the question.
After 3 months, the new Plasma is sufficiently stable?
I tried to chek whether the version 5.6 is now in testing but I couldn't find it.
Someone uses Plasma 5 in testing?

Regards

Ok, I've found the page with status of packages https://tracker.debian.org/news/781209, but
someone who uses plasma could share his experiences?

tim

#9 Post by tim »

I'm running debian testing, with plasma version 5.6.5. It's mostly usable, but there are a few annoying bugs: right-clicks don't work on the desktop (e.g., you can't right click to get the shutdown/restart/logout options); right-clicking on the task bar doesn't work either. Right clicking does work within applications--web browsers, libreoffice, etc.). Another bug is that kde doesn't remember desktop settings from one session to the next: If you choose a wallpaper, for example, your choice won't be saved after you logout. KDE also doesn't save the choice to login automatically without a password. I imagine all these glitches will be solved with upgrades in the near future, but these particular problems have been around for at least a few weeks now.
They're really minor problems; I'm using testing everyday to do my work and haven't had any serious issues.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 Post by 1624 »

It works but i don't use it as main desktop to working.

Right click not working on Debian..

If you wanna it right now, New KDE Plasma 5, pick some another distro. Kubuntu works on KDE Plasma 5. fine. Neon KDE works too just fine.

On Debian use stable in every way..
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

tim

#11 Post by tim »

There's a solution to the problems I mentioned in my earlier post. Temporarily replace "testing" with "unstable" in your /etc/apt/sources.list. Then do

Code: Select all

apt-get update
followed by

Code: Select all

apt-get install libkf5plasma5
Installing that single package from unstable solves all the right-click problems, among other things. Finally, change your /etc/apt/sources.list preferences back to testing. (Unless you want to continue to track unstable.)
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

floreado

#12 Post by floreado »

Hi,

Thank you very much for the concrete information.
I must think over switching to other distro.
Debian is the most robust, this is the most important thing.
Kubuntu 16 worjs well, I've heard it is made from sid
Is it stable?

Regards

#13 Post by 1624 »

If i can recall right, Kubuntu is use debian testing packages and some sid packages.

That same bug was in Kubuntu too way back. So it's KDE bug not Debian. Can't remember where i find that info. That was time when i face this bug in Debian testing. There was no info to fix it, but updates fix it soon on Kubuntu.

Debian Testin is for testing. Some part works just fine, some not.

To me Debian testing is for testing. If there is some new stuff, so i don't have to be learning all of them, when Debian stable is out. Move to Next Debian stable is smooth to me in this way.

Why KDE Plasma 4 is not enough for you? What new things KDE Plasma 5 brings to you?

Yep, my English skills...
HP Z230 Workstation

floreado

#14 Post by floreado »

Hi,
Why KDE Plasma 4 is not enough for you? What new things KDE Plasma 5 brings to you?
So, I tried once KDE 5 on testing and on Manjaro and I notice that uses resources, you know RAM, CPU usage, etc.
Furthermore, I have impression that it works....better. I know that it is still in progress and it is not stable, but I noticed that things which don't work in KDE 4
work smooth in Plasma 5, e.g some desktop effects, I experience "holes" in windows, sub-menu tearings, flickering of windows edges when blur effect is turned on, etc.
Even in Plasm 5 which has not reached its optimal shape, these thigs don't occur.
It have bigger problems now, many things don't work but I think when these bugs will be fixed,
Plasma 5 will work much better and smoother than 4.
And the look is much better. I know that it is stupid to guid by look but I really want to have a nice aspect, too.
KDE 4 is "gooey" for me.

#15 Post by 1624 »

To me Debian testing KDE Plasma 5 use less memory than Plasma 4.

Thats not thing to me. I love KDE. If i wanna something less memory hog, i use something else Desktop.. LXQt for example.

Never use Manjaro. Is that even make by Debian?

KDE 5 is stable to work, but it's not stable to work on Debian. Sid maby? ;). Better use some another distro to use Plasma 5. KDE NEON?

I also like new KDE Plasma 5 look. Awesome to me. KDE Plasma 4 looks also nice and if i wanna, i can make it look like KDE Plasma 5. So can do others too.

Point is. Debian is not for KDE Plasma 5 ready jet.

If you really wanna use KDE 5, pick some another distro. On Debian it's stable, then when it stable.
HP Z230 Workstation

floreado

#16 Post by floreado »

Yes, It semms you've right.
Finally I will keep Debian, anyway is the most reliable.
Besides I have reinstalled system many times necause I rxperimented with distro then with other, etc
I am a little bit afraid that my hard disk will be broken finally due to continue formatting.

Thanks a lot for your comments.