Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opera on Stretch [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
floreado

Opera on Stretch [SOLVED]

#1 Post by floreado »

Hi all,

I want to install Opera on Stretch, and here is stated that the repository has to be "stable": https://deb.opera.com/manual.html
Everywhere is said that mixing repositories is not good.
I prefer this way of installation than downlaod a package from the Opera site.
Should I add this repo?

Regards
Last edited by floreado on 2016-05-01 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

No_windows

Re: Opera on Stretch

#2 Post by No_windows »

floreado wrote:Hi all,

I want to install Opera on Stretch, and here is stated that the repository has to be "stable": https://deb.opera.com/manual.html
Everywhere is said that mixing repositories is not good.
I prefer this way of installation than downlaod a package from the Opera site.
Should I add this repo?

Regards
Opera is referring to their repository name, not Debian's. This is not the same as having repositories from Debian Stable and Debian Testing in your sources.list.
You should be fine.

Also, if you did download the package it would ask you if you wanted to add the Opera repository, indirectly, by asking you about updates during installation.

floreado

Re: Opera on Stretch

#3 Post by floreado »

Hi No_windows,

Thank you for the clarification.
I was a little bit confused about these names (testing and stable).

Regards

geoffkaniuk

Re: Opera on Stretch [SOLVED]

#4 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Hello all,

I would like to try Opera, and attempted to install it following the instructions presented in the
Debian Opera wiki. All the instructions worked fine, except the installation failed because of three missing virtual packages:

Code: Select all

libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libgstreamer0.10-0
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
So is it possible to install Opera via the Debian repository?
Geoff

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

https://wiki.debian.org/Opera> If it fails, it's probably because of a missing dependency.
So , did you try installing those ? :
I checked for 1 for you:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libg ... base0.10-0

Code: Select all

aptitude install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
The same for the other 2
ImageOpera is a non-free (proprietary) software. It isn't supported by Debian. It's probably wiser to use a supported web browser !
For the Birds

geoffkaniuk

#6 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Thank you GarryRicketson for your comments. I did of course read that injunction, but the wiki then went on to describe exactly how to do it, so I concluded that it would be safe to try. Thank you also for finding the packages in Jessie, but I was particularly interested in Stretch.The three packages do not exist in Stretch, but they do exist in Sid. Perhaps the wiki should be amended to say that if the three packages are not in stable then do not try to install?

The link For the Birds basically points to a general statement DontBreakDebian in the Debian wiki. It does not specifically mention Opera. It does however emphasize that one should not mix releases.

Therefore I shall not attempt to install the missing packages from Sid, and will give up on Opera.
Geoff

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thank you also for finding the packages in Jessie, but I was particularly interested in Stretch.The three packages do not exist in Stretch,
Your welcome, I had not noticed that, but you are right they only seem
to be available for Jessie and Sid,
Have you checked in the backports ?https://backports.debian.org/
I don't see them, but did not look very hard.
And you are right, it is not a good idea to try to use package from other versions. That is the point of the wiki, don't break Debian.
Some one else here might be able to help you learn how to compile
from the source code, of one of the existing packages, and use it , essentially
creating your own back port.
Opera is not Open source , not is it for free, and since it is not in the Debian repositories , I would not recommend using it.
========
Did you add the opera, repositories for Opera ? , Maybe they do have those packages,for Debian stable (currently stretch) seems like they would.

feneks

#8 Post by feneks »

try package named "opera-stable" not "opera"