firefox-esr poor performance

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: firefox-esr poor performance

Postby milomak » 2017-07-19 20:05

a link to a video that causes the issue?
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby maximus1978 » 2017-07-19 22:18

PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.

I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

about:config

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

So far working on 4 of my machines.

HTML5 has issue with .webm format?
maximus1978

Postby VentGrey » 2017-07-19 22:33

I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:
“I felt myself on the edge of the world; peering over the rim into a fathomless chaos of eternal night.”
― H.P. Lovecraft after trying Debian SidImage
VentGrey

Postby maximus1978 » 2017-07-19 22:41

VentGrey wrote:I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:

What is your "media.webm.enabled" set at?

I set mine too false. This seems to have been my issue.
maximus1978

Postby PhilGil » 2017-07-20 02:10

maximus1978 wrote:
PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.

I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

I tried it and that doesn't seem to be my problem, although it may help other posters whose problems seem to be media-related. Mine is just general sluggishness. On a positive note, I did try the release version of Firefox (v54.x) and it seems to be a bit perkier, although RAM use is even worse.
PhilGil

Postby maximus1978 » 2017-07-20 11:26

PhilGil wrote:
maximus1978 wrote:

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

I tried it and that doesn't seem to be my problem, although it may help other posters whose problems seem to be media-related. Mine is just general sluggishness. On a positive note, I did try the release version of Firefox (v54.x) and it seems to be a bit perkier, although RAM use is even worse.

What is your video card?
Can you post lspci?
maximus1978

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia