Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

firefox-esr poor performance

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
milomak

Re: firefox-esr poor performance

#16 Post by milomak »

a link to a video that causes the issue?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

maximus1978

#17 Post by maximus1978 »

PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.
I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

about:config

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

So far working on 4 of my machines.

HTML5 has issue with .webm format?

VentGrey

#18 Post by VentGrey »

I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

maximus1978

#19 Post by maximus1978 »

VentGrey wrote:I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:
What is your "media.webm.enabled" set at?

I set mine too false. This seems to have been my issue.

PhilGil

#20 Post by PhilGil »

maximus1978 wrote:
PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.
I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

I tried it and that doesn't seem to be my problem, although it may help other posters whose problems seem to be media-related. Mine is just general sluggishness. On a positive note, I did try the release version of Firefox (v54.x) and it seems to be a bit perkier, although RAM use is even worse.

maximus1978

#21 Post by maximus1978 »

PhilGil wrote:
maximus1978 wrote:

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

I tried it and that doesn't seem to be my problem, although it may help other posters whose problems seem to be media-related. Mine is just general sluggishness. On a positive note, I did try the release version of Firefox (v54.x) and it seems to be a bit perkier, although RAM use is even worse.
What is your video card?
Can you post lspci?