Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen brightness issues after suspend/hibernate on Macbook

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
werner291

Screen brightness issues after suspend/hibernate on Macbook

#1 Post by werner291 »

Hello!

so I recently installed Debian Jessie on my MacBook. There are a few quirks of course, but over all the experience has been very positive.

I'm having issues with my screen brightness. After (re)booting, it works fine, I can adjust it with the brightness keys.

However, after suspending or hibernating (not exactly sure which), the brightness is either completely up r completely dark.

I went into /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight and tried echoing values into "brightness":

Using 2228 or higher seems to give full brightness.
Using 2227 yields a wierd blinking effect.
Using 2226 also yields the blinking effect, but a lot darker.
Finally, 2225 and lower gives complete darkness.

So, this behavior happens after either supsending or hibernating.

If I call "systemctl suspend" and then immediately hit a key, the computer wakes up either immediately (in which case the problem does not appear), or it takes a while to wake up (I also hear a faint clicking sound coming from the laptop), and the problem appears, then won't go away until I reboot.

EDIT: I tried upgraded to kernel version 4.6 from jessie-backports, problem still exists there

EDIT: Seems people experience it on RedHat as well: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=989555

EDIT: The proposed solution appears to work. https://github.com/patjak/mba6x_bl

Now the brightess keys don't work anymore, they try to adjust the intel_backlight settings (which don't do anything. ).

Progess...