Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE/Plasma crashes at Login after turning on Nvidia card in

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
cat11

KDE/Plasma crashes at Login after turning on Nvidia card in

#1 Post by cat11 »

Hello... thank you for reading this!

My issues started when I installed bumblebee and the proprietary Nvidia driver and then used bbswitch to turn on the driver. This in a fresh install of Jessie, the only OS on the system, which I did a couple days ago. A couple minutes after turning on the nvidia driver with bbswitch KDE and plasma shell crashed. Then when I rebooted fsck ran and I fixed a bunch of errors and then turned off the machine with the power button. When I booted
again not only did KDE immediately crash, but a bunch of windows popped up for each program I had open before saying that it couldnt write to disk. Some one last night on irc helped me confirm that the disk was read only- probably marked by fsck I think in order to run on the mounted hdd. I was able to mark it rw again using devblock though it still says "error-remount ro" in mount. I was having no luck using advice for re-assigning the disk or fixing using mount/remount types of commands. I couldnt see the disk or run fsck though knoppix live cd. Since I ran into a brick wall taking that route I decided to see if purging all nvidia packages would help since trying to set up nvidia was what I was doing when this started. So I purged all nvidia packages including bbswitch and then set in the bios for the computer to only use integrated graphics. Now when I boot, KDE still crashes, but at least I can use all my programs again without "read only" errors. I can now install things and use the package manager and am typing this from the machine on firefox. I installed the backtrace software so now I can send crash reports (this is a new install only several days old.) Any idea where to go from here to get KDE up and running again?

My end goal now after getting the desktop environment running again is to have the nvidia (quadro k2000) card in use all the time. I need it to use my displayport. In fact, I was trying to get my displayport to work which started all of this in the first place. I can set it to only use the Nvidia card in the bios so I think all I need is the correct nvidia driver, not bumblebee and all of that since I dont care to use optimus. I didnt realize I didnt want that, at first.

Also, this is on a Thinkpad W530.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Discovered that I think it is a problem with the profile because when i created a new user, KDE and everything loaded fine. Also, when i rebooted for some reason hexchat couldnt load the display anymore under my account despite not changing anything I was aware of in my last session. Firefox still displays fine in my account.

Also, I dont know if this is useful, but when the plasma crashed upon login and I tried to get backtrace, it didnt work. I thought it would since I installed the gdb package it asked for the last time. This time it still didnt work though, and it said it was because it couldnt access these files it needed:
/usr/bin/plasma-desktop
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtScript.so.4
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtDeclarative.so.4
/usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
/usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5
/usr/lib/libplasma.so.3

Right now I am going to look into how to resolve problems with my profile while I await possible replies

Edit: Got KDE up and running again. Did this by deleting the tmp kde cache for that user. Now I guess Ill try to get nvidia working again ~shudder~ I don't want to break everything again, how would one go about getting the Nvidia Quadra k2000 in use all the time from boot?