Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE mate-utils-1.16 make errors

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Gecko64

MATE mate-utils-1.16 make errors

#1 Post by Gecko64 »

Hello guys !
I'm actually on a Debian stretch and trying to install with the sources Mate 1.16.
I've actually installed everything except mate-utils.
During the configuration, i've no problem, everythings to execute the compilation are present but during the compilation, i've got this error :

Code: Select all

mate_dictionary_applet-gdict-sidebar.o: In function `gdict_sidebar_init':
/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src/gdict-sidebar.c:336: undefined reference to `gtk_box_new'
/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src/gdict-sidebar.c:355: undefined reference to `gtk_box_new'
/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src/gdict-sidebar.c:362: undefined reference to `gtk_label_set_xalign'
/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src/gdict-sidebar.c:363: undefined reference to `gtk_label_set_yalign'
mate_dictionary_applet-gdict-sidebar.o: In function `gdict_sidebar_select_button_press_cb':
/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src/gdict-sidebar.c:183: undefined reference to `gtk_widget_get_preferred_size'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:642: recipe for target 'mate-dictionary-applet' failed
make[3]: *** [mate-dictionary-applet] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary/src'
Makefile:433: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0/mate-dictionary'
Makefile:501: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0'
Makefile:432: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
root@lenovo:~/mate-1.16-source/uncompressed/mate-utils-1.16.0# 
For me, i think that's a problem in the source code and i wondered if someone else here has met the same problem during the 'make' command ?
I wondered too if someone know when this version of mate will be add into the debian's repository ?

Thank you !
Gecko64

stevepusser

Re: MATE mate-utils-1.16 make errors

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Very probably it's some gtk3 issue. Either you are missing a build depends or it wants an even newer gtk3. It's possible to build against gtk2, as in the back port of 1.16 l did on Jessie.
MX Linux packager and developer