Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Deepin

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Azhar

Installing Deepin

#1 Post by Azhar »

Hi everyone

I am new to debian, and want to install deepin DE. I tried the steps in this https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install- ... untu-15-04 page. But i get the following error

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dde-meta-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 dde-meta-core : Depends: compiz but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: session-migration but it is not installable
                 Depends: startdde but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: deepin-desktop-environment but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: dde-control-center but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Does this mean i have to install all the "Depends"??

stevepusser

Re: Installing Deepin

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You usually can't just blithely graft Ubuntu or Deepin packages onto Debian without creating a monster (a broken system). The only guaranteed safe way to do it is to rebuild all the packages from source files on Debian. This is called "porting", or "backporting" if the sources are in upstream Debian. You can see most of those missing dependencies are DEEPIN, not Debian, and are not available in Debian.

The openSUSE Build System awaits the source packages if you want to try that. That means a lot of packages, including all those missing ones you see and whatever else they need.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

To repair your broken packages use (as Root)

Code: Select all

apt-get -f install
this may remove Deepin DE.

If you want Deepin, why not install Deepin? Even as a dual boot with Debian...

Azhar

#5 Post by Azhar »

Thanks for the reply guys. I thought i saw/read, on DistroWatch.com that Deepin DE is supported on debian, obviously i was mistaken.

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

Azhar wrote:Thanks for the reply guys. I thought i saw/read, on DistroWatch.com that Deepin DE is supported on debian, obviously i was mistaken.
You are correct.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p542283
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Derived from != supported by. Deepin seems to be derived from Debian Stretch at some time in the past, so that makes its packages very likely incompatible with Jessie, though if built upon Qt 5 as they seem to be, there is a chance they could be backported to Jessie.

oui

#8 Post by oui »

stevepusser wrote:Derived from != supported by. Deepin seems to be derived from Debian Stretch at some time in the past, so that makes its packages very likely incompatible with Jessie, though if built upon Qt 5 as they seem to be, there is a chance they could be backported to Jessie.
And what is with Stretch itself (I don't use Jessie because Jessie is bugged :idea: :roll: !). I did use Deepin in Kubuntu (installed by Kubuntu, not by me! I didn't know deepin at this time at all :oops: ! And I use sometimes the beautiful Debian-Dog-Stretch with Deepin

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

oui wrote:I don't use Jessie because Jessie is bugged
yeah.
all debian versions are bugged.
in fact, all linuxes are bugged.
or, when i think about it, all operating systems are bugged.
:idea: :roll:

oui

#10 Post by oui »

debiman wrote: yeah.
all debian versions are bugged.
in fact, all linuxes are bugged.
or, when i think about it, all operating systems are bugged.
:idea: :roll:
yes, of course, the question is only if you can live quite and easily with the bug or not :idea:

the bug in Debian8 as well as Kubuntu until 16.10 is that the trace of the cursor stay on the screen of my Dell Laptop (for ex. in KDE) and you can't find the fields for more entries any more after a certain (short, depending of the use) time :mrgreen: . it is not only ugly: it causes you can't continue to work in it!

it is also the reason why i am interesting to try new environments like lxqt or deepin giving me an equivalent quality of screen layout like KDE as both build on QT.

in 17.04RC as well as in Debian9RC the problem seems to be actually solved (if no developper enter in last minute at parutions time of the stable "my goody", thinking "what it didn't been taking under consideration until yet? it must be...". I did already have such deception at parution time of older releases!)

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

OK--so older versions of Linux are bugged with your particular hardware. Since Ubuntu 17.04 solves it, it may be that Debian with newer kernels will also help--it may depend on your hardware.