Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse does not work after installing Nvidia driver

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Todd84875

Mouse does not work after installing Nvidia driver

#1 Post by Todd84875 »

Hello,

I had an issue where the noveau driver would crash on a fresh install of Jessie, so I tried installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver. I used the following procedure: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... cy_GPUs.29

After rebooting and finishing the xorg.conf setup (as per the above procedure) and rebooting again, XFCE no longer crashes (Yay!). However, my USB mouse no longer works, the pointer just sits in the center of the screen. The red light is on underneath the mouse and it was working just before the reinstall. The device also does not seem appear in the output of 'lsusb'

After several google searches, the only clue I can find is in the output of "grep -i mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log" (I'm manually typing in the output as the issue is on a different machine):

Code: Select all

(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(==) NVIDIA(0) Silken mouse enabled
I'm really not sure how to go about this and I'm stumped. Hopefully there is a helpful someone here who can help! Thanks :)

Todd84875

Re: Mouse does not work after installing Nvidia driver

#2 Post by Todd84875 »

Ok, so as brains sometime work, I had another idea as soon as I posted. There's a passive USB hub attached to the machine that, when removed, fixed the issue. I hadn't considered that as a solution before as the mouse wasn't connected through the hub, but straight into the motherboard. After removing it, the mouse appeared in the output of 'lspci' and began to work. It still works even after I reconnected the hub and rebooted the machine. I just wanted to post my solution in case someone else has something similar happen.

GarryRicketson

Re: Mouse does not work after installing Nvidia driver

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I just wanted to post my solution in case someone else has something similar happen.
Thanks, that is good, and fortunately it was simple.
I don't have a "passive USB hub", but any time I have trouble with
any of the usb devices, mouse included the first thing I try is disconnect
everything, and re-connect, and usually it works.