Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Gnome Theme

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
phen0m

[SOLVED] Gnome Theme

#1 Post by phen0m »

Hello Everyone!

I'm having an issue while installing a theme on Debian 8 + Gnome DE. To be more precise, this is the theme I am talking about:

https://www.gnome-look.org/content/show ... ent=175837

And I could found a video about this theme as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVVjtrobHvs

Pretty cool right? So, I tried multiple times to install this, followed step by step all the instructions given on READ ME file, but somehow it fails. Maybe I am doing something wrong, because those instructions are not so clear to me at a certain point. Also, tried to contact the author without any success.

If you like this theme, and if you think it's ok to try on yourself, I appreciate that! :wink:

Thanks for your patience,
phen0m
Last edited by phen0m on 2016-11-10 15:46, edited 2 times in total.

Ardouos

Re: Gnome Theme

#2 Post by Ardouos »

phen0m wrote: Pretty cool right? So, I tried multiple times to install this, followed step by step all the instructions given on READ ME file, but somehow it fails. Maybe I am doing something wrong, because those instructions are not so clear to me at a certain point.
What are the error messages that appear?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

phen0m

#3 Post by phen0m »

Ardouos wrote:
phen0m wrote: Pretty cool right? So, I tried multiple times to install this, followed step by step all the instructions given on READ ME file, but somehow it fails. Maybe I am doing something wrong, because those instructions are not so clear to me at a certain point.
What are the error messages that appear?
Hello Ardouos! After copied everything like it says on instructions, and choosing everything I want with TweakTool, a splash screen appears with something like: "Oh no! Something went wrong". And then, on Extensions tab, I can see that UserThemes is set to OFF. If I activate it again, the screen will come. =(

fireExit

#4 Post by fireExit »

That theme is suitable for gtk-3.20 only; Jessie uses gtk-3.14

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

phen0m wrote: After copied everything like it says on instructions, and choosing everything I want with TweakTool, a splash screen appears with something like: "Oh no! Something went wrong". And then, on Extensions tab, I can see that UserThemes is set to OFF. If I activate it again, the screen will come. =(
I was thinking more of a terminal output. But from what I can see it is likely a GTK compatibility issue as fireExit said.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

phen0m

#6 Post by phen0m »

fireExit wrote:That theme is suitable for gtk-3.20 only; Jessie uses gtk-3.14
Hello fireExit! Thank you for your fast answer!

And can I/should I upgrade it? If yes...How could I safely do that to get this theme to work?

fireExit

#7 Post by fireExit »

You can't upgrade the gtk stack without compromising the system's stability.

Best scenario for you is to pick a theme that is gtk-3.14 compatible.

phen0m

#8 Post by phen0m »

fireExit wrote:You can't upgrade the gtk stack without compromising the system's stability.

Best scenario for you is to pick a theme that is gtk-3.14 compatible.
I feel sad for that :( seems like I gotta wait for a Debian release that comes with gtk 3.20 version by default.
Meanwhile, I will search for a compatible theme instead!

Thank you for your time! Have a nice day fireExit :wink:

pylkko

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome Theme

#9 Post by pylkko »

There will not be a Debian release with gtk 3.20. Debian 9 will use 3.22