Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

System-Wide cursor theme in Mate

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hiltuspeke

System-Wide cursor theme in Mate

#1 Post by hiltuspeke »

Hi.

I'm running Debian Jessie with Mate in my both computers, a desktop and a laptop. When setting up my laptop, I used the Mate appearance manager to set the cursor theme. That didn't change it completely: when cursor was over the Window titlebar or the desktop, it would revert to default X cursor.

I changed the default X cursor by editing the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme and it worked. However, in the index.theme file, I had to use the folder name instead the theme name specified in the index.theme of the cursor theme folder.

However, now, with a desktop computer, using the same version of Debian, same version of Mate (1.8.1) and the exact same cursor theme, this solution doesn't work. After editing the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme, the option "Default Cursor" in mates theme selector indeed is the cursor I want and did set, but when hovering over a desktop, it reverts to the very default black cursor of X11.

How do I overcome this and use a cursor theme system-wide?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: System-Wide cursor theme in Mate

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try:

Code: Select all

# update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
deadbang

hiltuspeke

#3 Post by hiltuspeke »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Try:

Code: Select all

# update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
I can't see the cursr theme I want and have stated in /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme on the list.
Picking another cursor theme from that menu gives the same result: the "default cursor" in mate appearance changes, but when hovering over the desktop or a window border, it reverts to the black simple X11 cursor.

hiltuspeke

#4 Post by hiltuspeke »

hiltuspeke wrote:
Picking another cursor theme from that menu gives the same result: the "default cursor" in mate appearance changes, but when hovering over the desktop or a window border, it reverts to the black simple X11 cursor.
Further inspection reveals, that that is not true. Choosing a cursor using update-alternatives does the job, but it doesn't help, as the cursor I want to use is not in the menu.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

hiltuspeke wrote:the cursor I want to use is not in the menu.
You can create a new "alternative" for your chosen cursor theme, try galternatives, I think that has an option to add new alternatives.

The `update-alternatives` command has an "install" option that will set up a new alternative, see `man update-alternatives` for more on this.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives
deadbang