Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Persistent audio issue on Lenovo L440

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ews

Persistent audio issue on Lenovo L440

#1 Post by ews »

Hi everyone, hope you're doing OK.

So I've been using various Linux distributions (Debian, Fedora, Mint) on this laptop — a Lenovo L440 — since I got it about three years ago and most things work (whatever doesn't — webcam, print reader — I don't use anyway). (At the moment I'm using Mint XFCE 18, but I imagine the underlying audio architecture is much the same; the behavior was exactly the same when I was running Debian 8.) However, what's been bothering me to no end is the fact that after waking it when it's been in sleep/suspend mode, there's no way I can listen to music (or any kind of sound) using my headphones. I've tried a variety of remedies — killing/restarting pulseaudio, tinkering with the audio settings, upgrading kernels, and so on. It's not a serious problem, but it can be pretty annoying when I just want to listen to something and I have to actually reboot in order to do that. I imagine all those reboot cycles can't be great for the hard drive either. There must be something I can do to fix this? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Here's the output from the inxi command:

Code: Select all

CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-4200M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~2500/3100 MHz Kernel~4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 Up~2 days Mem~2218.8/3663.3MB HDD~500.1GB(3.7% used) Procs~231 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

stevepusser

Re: Persistent audio issue on Lenovo L440

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What’s the most recent kernel you've tried?
MX Linux packager and developer

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I imagine the underlying audio architecture is much the same
Probably not. I think most start with a clean working ALSA config but you never know.

have you tried audio from cli after resume?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ews

#4 Post by ews »

stevepusser wrote:What’s the most recent kernel you've tried?
The most recent kernel I've tried is 4.4.0-53.
bw123 wrote:
I imagine the underlying audio architecture is much the same
Probably not. I think most start with a clean working ALSA config but you never know.

have you tried audio from cli after resume?
No. I'm not quite sure what that means, could you elaborate?

Thanks!

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

haven't had to debug sound / resume issues in a long time, but I would look at snd_intel_hda ( or whatever the kernel module name is, like I said been a long time since the last debugging... it's something snd + hda + intel ) kernel module quirks for your card setup. Either that or try unloading the and reloading the sound modules for the kernel after resume.

The other thing to look at is alsamixer, make sure the headphone output isn't muted after a resume.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P